PTA Reflections Program Honors Its Winners

Some of the program winners!

Annually, numerous students nationwide engage in the Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) Reflections Art Program, designed to offer recognition and artistic opportunities. All students from the grades of Transitional Kindergarten (TK) through 12th grade have the opportunity to showcase their talents. The program aims to enhance student confidence both in the arts and in life. Submitted by Alice Meko from Hampton Cove Elementary School in Alabama, the theme this year was “I am Hopeful Because…”

Since its founding in 1969, the competition has maintained a long-standing commitment to arts education, encouraging submissions across six diverse categories: Dance Choreography, Literature, Music Composition, Film Production, Visual Arts, and Photography. During this year’s award ceremony, 67 different entries were recognized at the Arcadia High Performing Arts Center (PAC). Those securing the top positions in their respective categories will advance to the state-level competition.

Trophies handed out to awardees.

Senior Jessica Tanujaya submitted a Music Composition piece that won first place, titled “Born to Fly.” Her piece was inspired by her family and friends. 

“As I was brainstorming the melody of ‘Born to Fly’ on the piano, I was inspired by my dad’s modern style of improv to create an inspirational melody,” shared Tanujaya. “For the lyrics, I was inspired by the quote ‘birds of a feather flock together’ and how my friends gave me hope to achieve any goal I set my mind to.” 

Sophomore Hazel Jung won first place in the Dance Choreography category with her piece titled “Praying.”

“My dance piece is inspired by one’s desire to give up [in] times of hardship, but persevere and grow as a person,” said Jung. “I felt very surprised when I won because this is the first time I have gotten first place in this program. I am also very grateful to have won this award, and it was a meaningful experience.” 

Junior Jade Szeto received first place in the Visual Arts Category for her artwork, “CEO.” 

“My drawing was inspired by my siblings’ graduation,” said Szeto. “Specifically, the cap toss, which is a memory that is forever ingrained in my mind. The colors, coordination, and the happiness that the moment contained is something I made sure to capture in my brain. I was hopeful that someday, that graduation would be mine.” 

Congratulations to all the winners! Your achievements in the contest are truly commendable and reflect your dedication and talent. For those who may be considering participation, the theme for 2024’s contest is “Accepting Imperfections.”

Photo courtesy of DCI