NAP Club: Exploring the Intricacies of the Brain, One Sphere at a Time

As students embark on their high school journey at Arcadia High School (AHS), there are countless opportunities for them to connect with peers and learn more about the psychology behind the world around them. One such method in which students can expand their horizons and delve deeper into the intricacies of the human brain is by participating in AHS’s Neuroscience and Psychology (NAP) Club. This club was founded in 2020 when a group of friends, united by their love for NAP, decided to share their fascination and enthusiasm for the realm of neuroscience with the AHS school community.

“This year, the Holly Ave Parent Teacher Association reached out to us to participate in their Science Technology Engineering Arts Mathematics Night, which was something we had never done before,” said senior Club President Caley Chan. “It was amazing working with the younger kids, and it was a valuable experience for the officer team.”

The NAP Club is currently led by Chan and advised by Mrs. Barbara Younwg. The club convenes every Thursday in room S108, where discussions are sparked about the inner workings of the brain. The club explores a wide range of topics, from the psychology behind everyday bodily functions and their connection to our behaviors to delving into the mechanics of neural pathways for various diseases. Whether it’s through case studies of criminals or hands-on activities like making clay brains, the officers work diligently to ensure a comprehensive understanding of each subject is delivered to every club member at the end of each meeting.

“Since we are still a small club, getting the word out there and engaging those who come will help build up the club membership and allow us to further realize our club purpose,” said Chan.

NAP is committed to fostering curiosity and building a sense of community among students who are passionate about the study of the mind. In addition to sharing facts and watching documentaries, the club also promotes peer interaction and community engagement through conducting group activities such as interactive case studies and fun craft projects. Furthermore, the club also provides a platform for students to delve deeper into their interests and expand their knowledge, offering a professional learning environment for learners to explore potential career pathways and learn more about their field of interest.

“We want to build a community for intellectual exchange and provide opportunities for social interaction with peers,” said prospective Club Co-President junior Vania Ahmadi. “Although many may not necessarily be interested in majoring in a psychology or neuroscience field in college, we still believe that it’s important knowledge to have, and our club provides valuable life experiences.”

Throughout the 2023-2024 school year, the club is thrilled to have achieved significant milestones in pursuit of its goals. A few notable accomplishments include organizing a stress-ball-making workshop coupled with an in-depth dive into stress and ways to manage it. Additionally, the club officers offered a thorough presentation on brain regions, followed by a group activity involving the building and molding of clay brains. Furthermore, an immersive case-study experience allowed members to analyze the psychopathic behaviors of criminal Jeffrey Dahmer.

“I think at the high school level, it’s not just about the educational aspect but also about encouraging social interaction with peers through collaboration, discussions, research projects, mind games, advocacy for mental health resources, and social events,” said Chan. “By engaging students wanting to pursue neuropsych, we’re able to introduce opportunities beyond just being a school club and open it up as a potential career pathway.”

Looking ahead, the NAP Club’s biggest objectives are to attract new members and foster greater participation among existing ones. One key initiative involves creating unique club merchandise for both officers and members, which doubles as a fundraiser. Additionally, the club plans to host guest speaker panels, interactive events, and innovative fundraisers to create a more immersive and educational experience for its members.

“I think my biggest accomplishment after being here for 2 years is choosing the ’24-’25 leadership,” said Chan. “I think the most overlooked yet important job of any leadership is passing it on to the right people. Having a cooperative and experienced team that can bring energy and engagement to the club is what I believe will allow the club and its knowledge to grow.”