Students Plan Their Future at the Career Intern/Expo

Caroline Li

Everyone has been in this situation at some point: either they don’t know what to do with their life, or are stuck between multiple career choices.. It had many tables with various career choices and internship opportunities for students. There was also a panel featuring AHS alumni as well as many other guest speakers to offer career advice to aspiring students. This event occurred on Feb. 15 at the CTE building. 

Apache News booth.

The event lasted from 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., giving students ample opportunity to view the various job opportunities, and talk to the vendors. The career opportunities that were advertised at the expo included jobs in public service, trade, on campus opportunities, education, medical, and STEM. Additionally, the expo invited many panelists, including AHS alumni Sean Chen, Ryan Liu, and Lina Myrvold. Other panelists included pilot Casey Allen, Dr. Angela Dillman, Lina Ngo, and Dr. Atia Shah. 

Liu, who is an attorney in business litigation, gave insights into the common stereotypes of his job,  the steps he took to get to where he is, the most fulfilling part of his job, and entry level positions in his field. Moreover, Liu stated, “In a law firm, Around 30% are litigators, but 70% are transactional attorneys.” Transactional attorneys work directly with companies who want to publicize and guide clients through the legal aspect of turning a company public.

Similarly, Dr. Shah, an infectious disease physician, offered insights into her daily life as a medical professional. She discussed how after signing into work, she does her rounds on her patients, and consults various medical professionals to decide the best treatment plans for her patients. Throughout the course of the panel. Dr. Shah mentioned, “healthcare is now more of a teamwork rather than an individual. There are multiple people on a team like doctors, nurses, nurse practitioners, and specialists who work together to make people feel better.”

Ngo and Allen, who are both pilots, discussed similar subject manners as Dr. Shah and Liu, and gave valuable insight into getting into aviation and the steps they took to be where they are currently. For example, Ngo discussed how she began her aviation career in El Monte Airport. “I began my aviation journey flying aerial mapping after receiving my certificates and ratings and then began flying cargo. Afterwards, I went onto flying heavy cargo for well known airlines and eventually, began flying with Delta, primarily flying West Coast and Alaska.”

Overall, the expo was a success and offered the students of AHS the opportunity to explore potential career opportunities and discover passions that may have laid dormant without the expo.