Happy Retirement, Mr. Baracchini!

Image: 2024
Lifetouch National School Studios Inc.
Image: 2024

Our beloved afternoon custodian at Arcadia High School (AHS), Mr. Steve Baracchini, will be retiring this summer, after working in the Arcadia Unified School District (AUSD) for 35 years. Congratulations to Mr. Baracchini, and a big thank you for all his hard work and commitment!

And it’s certainly no small feat to dedicate as many years as Mr. Baracchini has to our school and our school district. 

“I started as a substitute in August of ‘89, and then I got hired permanently in October of ‘94, and I worked at Holly Avenue up until 9 years ago, and I’ve been at the high school for 9 years now,” said Mr. Baracchini. 

Throughout his many years of service, he has been a wonderful presence on campus, known fondly by students and staff alike. Likewise, Mr. Baracchini looks fondly back on his time at AHS.

“It’s funny to listen to the kids because some of what they talk about in terms of dating and what you haven’t really hasn’t changed much from when I was in high school. But the technology has changed; I can’t believe how much!” said Mr. Baracchini. “So it’s just a kick to listen to the kids talk about things!”

His plans for after his official retirement are quite fulfilling, and there is certainly no shortage. It’s a well-deserved chance to relax after years of diligent work at AHS, and a very exciting opportunity for Mr. Baracchini.

“I’m gonna take some short trips, volunteer maybe one or two days a week, get a job somewhere part time, maybe one or two days a week, to keep me active. I might go back to school part-time to keep me busy,” he said. “It’s going to be an adjustment, and it’s going to be hard not seeing everybody. It takes time, I guess, like everything else.”

“There are some people you kind of seem to hit it off with; you may not know them for a long time, but you have a lot in common, just talking about the sports or the weather and what have you. It’s going to be hard without the same old faces every day; it might take me a couple weeks to sink in.” 

As we congratulate Mr. Baracchini on his retirement, we as a school are saying goodbye to a friend of students and staff who never failed to bring a positive presence to work every day. His work has always ensured that our environment is welcoming and safe, and it is greatly appreciated by all. Best of luck on a new and exciting chapter of your life Mr. Baracchini!

Photo Courtesy of AHS Yearbook