Seniors Celebrate the Start of Senior Week With ASB’s Drive-In Movie Night

As Arcadia High School (AHS) seniors wrap up their last few weeks as high school students, ASB’s Senior Council hosted their annual “Senior Week” to commemorate the past four years and celebrate the days leading up to graduation. To kick off the first of four activities throughout the week, seniors had the opportunity to participate in Drive-In Movie Night on May 28. 

From 6:00-8:30 p.m., students gathered in the Performing Arts Center parking lot for an “Up Up and Away” themed night featuring a taco stand from Chanos, snacks, and movie-themed goodie bags. This year, the movie was the classic Disney film, Up

To set up, ASB decorated the parking lot by hanging different sizes and hues of pink and white lanterns across the sky. Additionally, they provided freebies including soda, popcorn, assorted candy, oreos, glowsticks, and pins. 

“Senior Week is not only the biggest responsibility of the Senior Council, but it’s also one of the most anticipated events of the senior students, so a lot of planning and excitement went into the Senior Week. As a result of the dedication from the council, everyone can relax and enjoy their time with one another at the event,” said senior ASB President Joyce Lee. 

Across from the center inflatable screen, seniors were able to park their cars to watch, or go to the designated “No Car Club” area where students brought picnic chairs and blankets for an up-close viewing of the movie. Most students opted to bring snacks and fill their back trunks with blankets and pillows for a cozy environment. Others played games like spike ball and car basketball. 

“It was fun to be around my friends and other seniors to do fun bonding activities. I also enjoyed catching up with some friends who I haven’t been able to see in a really long time,” said senior Alexander Chenh.

The event was the perfect opportunity for students to not only spend quality time with each other, but also watch a classic Disney film to reminisce on childhood memories. 

“It was super nostalgic watching the movie Up because it was one of my favorite childhood movies that I used to watch with all of my elementary school friends,” said senior Will Garcia. 

Seniors could also anticipate the rest of Senior Week events including Senior Sunset, Chalk Day, and Senior Activity Day. Specifically for this year, the Senior Council worked hard to create new traditions for the first time. 

“With a new year comes a new council, and with a new council comes new ideas! This year, more interactive activities were added, such as the petting zoo on Wednesday and the build-your-own bagel on Friday,” Lee explained. “The purpose of these events is to make some final memories at AHS after the busyness dies down, connect with friends, and treat the students who have worked tenaciously the past four years.” 

Photo Courtesy of @arcadiahs24 on Instagram