Club Takeover: Students Revisit AHS Clubs

Arcadia High School’s (AHS) ASB organized a sequel to Club Day–Club Takeover. Instead of a singular day for all club exploration, the events were split into three categories: STEM + Civics Clubs, Arts/Interest/Service Clubs, and Culture + Identity Clubs. 

“I think for this event, since it’s broken into chunks, it’s easier to find clubs to join,” said freshman Weilin Lin.

The STEM + Civics clubs took place on Feb. 22, and the Rally Court was bustling with excitement. Club officers from Chemistry Club, Neuroscience & Psychology Club, FBLA, Marine Biology Club, and Mock Trial stood around their trifold, advertising what they stand for and welcoming people who showed interest in STEM and civics. The bright colors and graphics drew people in, and multiple students signed up on interest forms. 

AHS Astrophysics Club.

Neuroscience & Psychology Club President senior Caley Chan shared the thoughts behind their club trifold.

“Since it’s the middle of the semester, we had more material for our trifold, so we got pictures from club meetings and activities to place [on it],” Chan said.

Arts, Interest, and Service Clubs were held on Feb. 27 and featured clubs such as Fiber Arts, Fashion Industry Club, The Writer’s Den, Affinity for Animals, and LEO Club. Students interested in the arts immediately made their way towards new opportunities to write, crochet, or draw, whereas those interested in community service signed up for the various volunteering clubs.

Students like freshman Emily Chao discovered new clubs she hadn’t known about at the start of the year.

“I’d love to learn how to crochet, so I was looking for a club for that. I discovered the Fiber Arts club and filled out an interest form,” she said. “Club Takeover was easy to navigate, and I liked how it was less crowded.”

The event came to a close on March 8 with Culture + Identity Clubs. This consisted of clubs such as Vietnamese Culture Club, ASLA Club, Indian Culture Club, and My Friend & I. Culture and Identity clubs spread awareness and knowledge about different cultures and people groups. French Culture Club officer senior Ekaterina Medvedeva expressed her opinion on the event.

“There are fewer people than Club Day, but I think because all the culture clubs are placed together you can see all the variety. People can focus on them because there isn’t a mix of clubs like there is on club day where culture clubs can blend in with the rest,” Medvedeva said.

Club Takeover was a wonderful opportunity for students to continue their extracurricular endeavors. Now that most people are settled into their new schedules, it’s easier to plan which clubs to select based on club type and meeting day.

Photos courtesy of AHS ASB