Boys Varsity Tennis Prevails Against Burroughs

Amidst an atmosphere of intense competition, the Arcadia High School (AHS) Boys Varsity Tennis team dominated their first league match of the season against Burroughs High School with an impressive score of 16-2. Both teams engaged in a strategic and thrilling showdown on the tennis courts, showcasing their skill and sportsmanship. 

From the very first serve, it was evident that both teams were well-prepared and eager to claim victory. Volleys at the net became critical in securing points, with players demonstrating not only their strength but also their ability to execute precise shots.

Freshman Richard Sui reflects on his team’s performance, stating how they “won two and lost one [match], but our overall performance was strong,” adding, “The opponents played well, but [junior] Samarth [Srikar] and I outmatched them, securing a swift victory for our team.”

The doubles rallies were marked by strategy, creating an atmosphere of intensity that echoed the importance of this first league encounter.

Doubles pair Max Ma and Roger Wang displayed a remarkable show of strength, returning their opponents’ shots with equal force. Strong serves and returns were met with equally formidable volleys, making every game a testament to the skill and determination of the athletes.

“I didn’t play super well in my match, but we still managed to find a way and come back despite missing a lot of shots,” shared sophomore Roger Wang.

As the match unfolded, it became apparent that the Apaches had a strategic edge. Sophomore Matthew Chen and junior Jacky Li showcased a sharp sense of awareness, aiming shots near the lines and corners to secure wins. Volleys were exchanged with lightning speed, and the opponents from Burroughs responded with great precision and strength.

“Most of the time, I dictated the ball, so I was able to put a lot of pressure on [my opponent]. I tried to hit to his backhand then wait for the short ball to finish the point,” sophomore Andy Yu stated. “I was also able to score a lot of easy points on my service game, which helped me to win in the end.”

Teamwork played a pivotal role in the Arcadia victory. The players seamlessly coordinated their movements, covering the court with great footwork and utilizing a combination of techniques. Whether pushing in on the opponent to secure a point or executing strategic volleys, the Apaches demonstrated a level of teamwork that was instrumental in their success.

“Arcadia’s victory against Burroughs showed our team’s hard work and dedication. [The team] gave it their all on the court and illustrated great sportsmanship and resilience. I’m confident in [the Varsity Boys’] potential moving forward,” expressed AHS tennis coach Richard Chen. 

This victory marks a promising start to the season for the Arcadia High School Boys’ Varsity Tennis team and is a testament to the team’s hard work and preparation. With skill, determination, and a display of true sportsmanship, the Apaches have made a powerful statement on the court, leaving us eager to witness their continued success.

Photo courtesy of Arcadia DCI intern Jayeesha Deb