JV Girls Basketball Fights Against Burroughs

Siddhi Karthikeya

The Arcadia High School (AHS) JV Girls Basketball game against Burroughs High School (BHS) was certainly one that kept spectators invested. The two teams faced off on Jan. 16, and the match ended with a Burroughs victory of 25-46. Despite the game’s results, the Lady Apaches played hard and showcased their skills.

Junior Gianna Regina, who plays center, was proud of the fact that the Lady Apaches continued “fighting for the ball,” and demonstrating their resilience.  

Regina’s favorite part of the game was that the team “always had each other’s backs,” and that they “never gave up, and [the team] fought for each other and for the game.” Regina has been a basketball player for around four years, initially joining because of her family’s affinity for the sport.

The game itself started off in favor of the Lady Apaches. AHS scored in the first couple of the minutes in the game, securing the lead, with Burroughs taking the lead shortly afterwards. From there, the lively crowd of spectators watched in anticipation, watching the ball go back and forth between the two teams following steals and in some cases, fastbreaks. 

“I’m proud of my offensive and defensive effort. I really feel like both sides I played on and off the ball, and I was there in both positions,” stated Team Captain and junior Sasha Ball, who believes defense is her “stronger side.” 

Ball, who has played basketball since third grade, is a point guard who is passionate about playing the sport because of the “the drive,” “the adrenaline rush you get on the court,” and the “fans.” 

The JV Girls Basketball team has also been focusing on implementing things they work on in practice during gametime.

“One thing [the team] did work on at practice was our rebounds and defense in general, and I do believe it helped us throughout the game,” stated Regina. 

The guidance Regina and all the other players have received has prompted not only excellent game records, but also admiration from players who see the coaches as role models. 

“I believe the whole coaching staff at [AHS] has pushed [the players] to be ‘the better us,’ and so that’s who I look up to,” stated Regina.

The Lady Apaches’ next game will take place on Jan. 23, against Glendale High School (GHS) from 5:15-6:15 p.m. With increased determination and experience, the game is sure to be an entertaining one for those in attendance. Good luck to our Lady Apaches!

Photo by Siddhi Karthikeya