AHS Red Cross Club Spreads Cheer with Heartwarming Cards

As the semester is gradually concluding, numerous clubs at Arcadia High School (AHS) wrapped up their final gatherings for the year. AHS’ Red Cross Club followed suit, choosing to dedicate their last meeting of the semester to a club bonding event filled with beloved Christmas melodies and delectable snacks, including mouthwatering pizza.

“The purpose of the bonding event was to make cards for the healthcare workers at the USC Arcadia Hospital and to create a closer-knit community among the members of our club,” stated Red Cross Club Co-President junior Rayhan Mahamed. 

Reflecting on the broader scope of their activities throughout the semester, the club delved into an array of essential topics. Discussions ranged from disaster preparedness to the intricacies of emergency kits, and the exploration of International Humanitarian Law, among other critical Redcross related topics. 

Having filled their bellies in both festive fare and a hearty dose of holiday spirit, the club members embarked on a collective mission: to determine who among them could craft the most pleasing and heartfelt cards. Fueled by the warmth of camaraderie and the joyous atmosphere, they set out to channel their creativity and bring a touch of cheer to the healthcare workers at the USC Arcadia Hospital. 

“I think this is awesome since we get to show our appreciation for the nurses and doctors,” stated freshman Rachel Lin when asked about their sentiments regarding the activities they were engaged in. 

The atmosphere was eclectic with the sound of laughter, designs, colors, and the rustle of art supplies as each club member poured their creativity into each of the card creations. The cards spanned a variety of sentiments, including expressions of gratitude with “Thank you” cards to festive wishes for “Happy Holidays” to healthcare workers. It quickly became evident that this endeavor was transcending mere artistic expression; it evolved into a collective effort, a communal canvas where each stroke of the pen and splash of color carried the spirit of joy and gratitude.

“It is really fun since they provided food and pizza, and it’s a really good club to be in,” stated freshman Tiffany Li when asked about what she thought of the event. 

Despite the room being filled with cheer and laughter, there lingered a palpable sense of emptiness in the hearts of the club members. The joyous atmosphere couldn’t completely dispel the awareness that it would be half a month before they could gather again. Regardless of this obscure sorrow, some club members still decided to think positively. 

“I mean, you end off the year with knowing everyone you’re in the club with, so it kind of closes it off; then, when you start the year again, you know everyone already,” stated freshman Maya Bishara.

Undoubtedly, the bonding event emerged as a resounding success, leaving an indelible mark on the hearts of all who participated. The genuine laughter, collaborative spirit, and shared sense of purpose not only strengthened the bonds within the club but also created lasting memories that would linger well beyond the event itself!

Photos courtesy of AHS Red Cross Club