SLAC Hosts Meet the Seniors Event

The Student Library Advisory Committee (SLAC) hosted their second annual Meet the Seniors event in the Arcadia High School (AHS) Library Media Center on Nov. 29. The event invited three senior students to answer various questions asked by the audience. Many of the questions asked were about college and Advanced Placement (AP) classes, ranging from what classes one should take, and suggestions on what to include in a college application. The seniors speaking were Medha Yasa, Amrin Nuha Kamaal, and Marilyn Gan.

The seniors recommended building strong relationships with counselors and teachers to show them who you are as a person and not just as a student. For example, emailing or talking to your counselor are good ways to answer questions about one’s college application.  

“Keep a good relationship with your counselor,” said Yasa, when a student asked if a counselor helps with planning to get into a college.  

One piece of advice all three of the seniors heavily recommended was to not take APs for the sake of taking APs, that an A in a regular class was better than a lower grade from taking an AP class, and that one should take APs that actually relate to whatever major you want to pursue in the future, not an AP that’s just harder to try to impress a college. 

“Don’t take APs for APs; and an A in a regular class is better than a GPA change,” stated Gan.

The seniors also emphasized that they changed throughout their different journeys at AHS. For Gan, it was finding out there was something they enjoyed when visiting the high school on “Beyond U” night, an open house which shows future freshmen CTE career pathways. For Yasa, the road was filled with exploring opportunities around the school. 

“Don’t forget, nothing is technically ever final, like I’m going to be an engineer now, but maybe I’ll go into business in college, right?” stated Gan when talking about what she took and is currently taking at AHS.

“It’s really just dipping your toes into the subject and seeing what happens,” said Kamaal.

Meet the Seniors was a resounding success, and thank you SLAC for hosting it. If you missed this semester’s Meet the Seniors, SLAC will be hosting another one in semester two, so don’t forget to check the student bulletin for updates!

Graphic courtesy of AHS SLAC