Thank You, Ms. Bradley

Ms. Bradley, 

I remember the first day I set foot in your classroom. I had just discovered my passion for the artistic process, and I’d chosen to pursue it in Advanced Drawing and Painting. Although I wasn’t much of a painter, nor a drawer, nor any visual artist, really–I recall you being encouraging and sympathetic toward everyone, including me. You would walk around our table and have something to say, whether it be to me or to one of the classmates at my table group.

I fondly think back to our watercolor assignment in which we were tasked to illustrate a soda can with varying shades of gray and red. It was one of the projects I found to be one of the most delightful assignments we were given, and I indulged in the process. You came up to our table and marveled at my painting. It was the first watercolor piece I’d done in years; I was (and still am!) inexperienced in painting, but your words left me with newfound confidence. Maybe I could try my hand at watercolor, I thought. That May, I painted a few flowers. Then I painted buildings, my dreams, trees, and sunsets. It became my favorite medium.

For our projects, you allowed us extensions whenever necessary, and I was so glad to have a teacher who understood the unpredictability of the creative process. It’s difficult to set strict deadlines when there are many artists, some that take longer, and you did your best to accommodate that. Not only that, you were always willing to give feedback on our artwork and share your ideas. No matter the project, I loved to hear your expertise.

I’m sure that in that classroom, many–including me–were grateful for your presence. In that class, the thoughtfulness you showed toward every student has, undoubtedly, made others feel the same as I have: inspired to try something new, hopeful in artistic skill, whether it be mine or someone else’s, and grateful for feedback you gave.

Even now, as half of the semester has passed in your AP Art History class, your classroom has always been a joyful environment with the occasional jokes you crack during our lessons. The projects we did in that class–the most memorable being the cave paintings–were, too, given positive feedback by you. Through your words, I felt encouraged and supported.

Thank you, Ms. Bradley, for your advice, cheerfulness, and humor. I am ever so grateful that as I continue striding through my artistic journey, there will always be someone knowledgeable and so full of kindness.