Wellness Center Hosts Walk-a-Thon

Students, staff, and families across the Arcadia Unified School District were in attendance at the Arcadia High School (AHS) Wellness Center Walk-a-thon on Nov. 4 at the AHS Salter Stadium track. Beginning at 9 a.m., runners of all ages participated in the event. AHS counselors were among the many staff in attendance, running alongside students from AHS elementary schools. Over 70 laps were completed in just two hours by walkers and runners. 

Youth mental health has become a focus in our world today. With stress from schoolwork, extracurriculars, and college applications, high school students are often at the center of such issues. AHS Wellness Center addresses this. 

First launched in 2021, the Center offers a safe place for students when struggling. Resources are given to students, staff, and parents, including tools for stress management, mental health education, and apps that promote good mental health. The Wellness Center often hosts events, such as: The Crochet Workshop, Guatemalan Worry Doll Craft, the Wellness Pop Up, Wellness Week, and most recently their first Walk-a-thon fundraiser. 

Wellness Committee member and AHS Counselor Ms. Gina Zavala recalled her experience as a participant and volunteer.

It was amazing to see all of the people who came out to support the Wellness Center. There were parents and other community members as well as staff members which included several of our fantastic AHS counselors but also staff from the elementary level and even the district office.”

AHS Wellness Committee members contributed significantly to this successful event. With members helping with set-up, signing-in participants, words of encouragement, and offering snacks and water, the event ran smoothly throughout the morning. Prizes such as tote bags and small goody-bags were awarded to the top walkers and runners. Upon completion, runners were replenished with provided snacks from committee members. 

I really loved seeing so many students out there walking or running who represented all levels – from elementary through high school. They were so serious and motivating!” Ms. Zavala stated. “It was clear that people care about and understand the importance of the AHS Wellness Center and the various services provided; these services promote the mental health and well-being of all AHS students.”

It is no surprise that the event was a success. Despite only being the first walk-a-thon, we can expect many more in the years to come. Congratulations to all the participants and to the AHS Wellness Center for a great event! We look forward to future fundraisers!

Photo courtesy of AUSD