Polls

What are your Valentine’s Day plans?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

SMW Hosts Annual Food Drive

Annually, Seniors of Merit at Work (SMW) holds a food drive for the purpose of helping out families in our community that are in need. Partnered with Foothill Unity Center and Arcadia High School’s Parent Teacher Student Association (PTSA), SMW members came to each classroom during period 4 to announce the start of the food collection period on Oct. 25. From Oct. 26 to Nov. 3, students brought canned foods, bottled waters, boxed food mixes, household items, baby supplies, and even monetary donations to aid members in our neighborhood. All foods were non-perishable and store-bought. Homemade food and glass containers were not allowed. This year’s SMW food drive successfully collected nearly 4,000 items.

Items could be dropped off in any classroom’s boxes, or in boxes found in front of the library and front office. Monetary donations were given to homeroom teachers and checks were to be made payable to the Foothill Unity Center. 

Foothill Unity Center is a food bank and aid organization for those impacted by food insecurity and poverty. Founded in 1980 by Josephine Anderson, their goal is to assist neighbors in becoming self-reliant by collaborating with the local community.

“The purpose of the food drive is to be able to help out families in our community that are struggling, since the least we can do is [provide] them with what we can. [The drive]  could help over 1,200 different families and it also serves as a way to bond our community,” said senior Annika Zhang, a member of SMW.

“We hope that through our donations we will be able to help and support these families, especially as the holidays are coming up,” added SMW member Lana Menck.

As Thanksgiving approaches, the aim was to provide individuals who lack regular access to meals and are at risk of homelessness with proper meals. Initiatives like the food drive offer a practical way to support those facing challenges in the community. 

“I think the food drive is a great idea because some people are less fortunate than others. It’s very obvious, but we don’t always know how to help them, and we don’t always know who’s in need,” said freshman Mary Elizabeth Namatay Ross.

On behalf of the Foothill Unity Center, PTSA, and SMW, thank you to those who helped with this year’s drive. Many thanks to the football team, and girls and boys basketball teams that came out to help with gathering and loading all of the proceeds.

Photo courtesy of AHS SMW