Polls

What are your Valentine’s Day plans?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Arcadia High School Orchesis Open Hip-Hop Class

Five, six, seven, eight!
Orchesis and students who participated in the Open Hip-Hop class rounding up for one last class photo.

With dozens in attendance and a day filled with energetic dancers, it is safe to say that the annual Orchesis Open Hip-Hop Class was a success. Dancers of all ages and levels lined up to partake in the class, hosted by the Arcadia High School (AHS) Orchesis Dance Company, on Oct.13. With Orchesis members promoting the event through their Instagrams and selling tickets, the turnout surpassed expectations.

Orchesis Captains first led the class through a series of warmups, drills, and stretches to ensure the safety of the dancers. Then, they taught choreography to the hit song “Just Wanna Rock” by Lil Uzi Vert (Symere Woods). After teaching the dance as a large group, the class was split into four random groups, with each showcasing their newly learned choreography. 

Sophomore Kathleen Kwan, the September Orchesis Member of the Month, recalled the very successful event.

“Dancers of all levels filled up the CTE to learn a 30-second dance taught by the officers. We had so much fun interacting with everybody, and we loved watching the groups perform for their peers!”

Orchesis emphasized the importance of being relaxed when learning the routine, and when performing it. No dancer is perfect, and even the most experienced make mistakes. The hip-hop class has been very popular throughout the years. This class, ran after school from 3:45-5 p.m, saw around 90 dancers.

“It was super packed, but we all made it work. The officers did a really great job controlling the class! Everybody had a lot of fun,” Kwan added.

Orchesis, established over 40 years ago, is an integral part of the Arcadia Performing Arts Center. With countless performances throughout the school year, such as the Charity Dance Show, the Orchesis Spring Production, performing during pep rallies and sporting events, and the Spring Dance Recital; the group demonstrates their dedication, hard work, and skill. Company members receive the highest level of training, with countless dances taught by well-known choreographers throughout the Los Angeles area, special workshops and opportunities, and a vigorous training schedule. Orchesis not only seeks to create well-rounded dancers, but also to build strong leaders and individuals. But most importantly, they strive to cultivate a nurturing environment for all of their members.

As Orchesis looks forward to their next performance, attendees can anticipate their next open class during the second semester. We hope the next class is as enjoyable as this one!

Photo courtesy of @ahsorchesis on Instagram