Polls

What are your Valentine’s Day plans?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

AUSD Students Receive Recognition in Multilingual Achievement Ceremony

The 3rd Annual Multilingual Achievement Ceremony honored students who have reached proficiency in acquiring the English language and celebrates their achievement. On Oct. 4, 268 students across the Arcadia Unified School District (AUSD) were reclassified as “Fluent English Proficiency.” Students across AUSD were recognized for their perseverance and hard work. These schools developed outstanding learners who demonstrated their commitment and language acquisition. English Language Development teachers of AUSD demonstrated commitment to their students, working with them for countless hours to help them improve their English. 

Ms. Kim LaBella, the English Language Development (ELD) teacher on Special Assignment states, “It is so great to be able to celebrate these students and publicly recognize their accomplishments. Achieving multi-lingual status and meeting AUSD’s rigorous reclass criteria is not an easy task and their hard work certainly does not go unnoticed. We are fortunate to have such a robust ELD program in the district and are grateful to all of the ELD teachers and general education teachers who have supported and continue to support these students on their academic journey.”

Students must meet a series of criteria known as the “Reclassification Criteria” in order to be eligible for reclassification. The list of requirements includes meeting the requirements for basic English skills, teacher observation and assessment, and English language proficiency standards. Depending on the grade level, each criterion has a few specifics that change. A student is considered to have met the standards if they receive an overall score of 4 on the English Language Proficiency Assessments for California, a grade of C- or higher in English, a grade of C- or higher in core academic classes, a grade point average of 2.0 or higher, and a standard score on the Star Renaissance test. Students will be categorized as having “Fluent English Proficiency” once they have attained all of the listed standards. 

Excited parents, educators, and students filled the Arcadia Performing Arts Center for the Multilingual Ceremony. Once the ceremony began, it immediately filled with liveliness as student after student joined the stage with their certificate of recognition. Each student introduced themselves while parents responded with big rounds of applause, flashing cameras, and smiles on their faces. 

AHS freshman Yosef Bryon Valdeavilla stated, “I feel like the ceremony was very meaningful, with how it recognizes students and their efforts. Personally, I was surprised and excited when I found out that I was going to be reclassified. It made me feel like my hard work paid off, and that I am actually making noticeable progress.” 

The Multilingual Ceremony not only celebrates those who have made significant progress in their language acquisition, but it also serves as a source of inspiration for future Arcadia students. It proves that through perseverance and hard work, students can learn to overcome language barriers and attain proficiency in a new language. More than that, students working towards English proficiency will be encouraged by their peers, knowing that it is possible for them too, to achieve linguistic fluency. 

Arcadia’s Multilingual Ceremony celebrates students who have reached a milestone in their English-learning process. It recognizes the hard work of students from various Arcadia school sites who have attained “English Language Proficiency.” As Arcadia continues to celebrate and encourage the linguistic achievements of its students, it will also inspire future generations of Arcadia students to strive for linguistic excellence.

Photo courtesy of AUSD DCI