Polls

What are your Valentine’s Day plans?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Hugo Reid Back to School Picnic & Book Fair

The parents of Hugo Reid Elementary school gathered to celebrate one last hurrah of the summer before the fall weather begins to pick up on Sept. 28. It is the time of year when parents get to say goodbye to their kids after a tumultuous summer, and kids get to see their friends again. To commemorate this new chapter of life Hugo Reid Elementary School hosted an annual Back to School Picnic and Book Fair, not only to fundraise and celebrate the beginning of the school year, but to also allow students to assimilate to their new school with their family and friends. 

The night was broken up into two parts: time for socializing and time for purchasing items from the book fair. Items that were for sale included graphic novels, stationary, and various fiction and nonfiction books. Afterwards, they got the ability to socialize and spend time with friends while eating a delicious meal. 

To help the event run smoothly, Arcadia High School’s Seniors of Merit at Work (SMW) went to Hugo Reid to assist the PTSA in doing various things, like selling drinks and candy, as well as assisting in activities such as blowing bubbles to entertain the kids. In doing this, they helped relieve some of the PTSA members’ responsibilities, making the night more enjoyable for all. 

SMW advisor Mrs. Claudia Grubbs stated that the goal of going to Hugo Reid was to “help those in our community make their events go smoothly and be memorable.”

In addition to families having the ability to get together to celebrate a new chapter in life, the SMW members also made memories that will last a lifetime.

Senior Claire Mathewson stated, “The most memorable part of the event was when a boy ran up to one of the coolers with the drinks we were selling and politely asked for a big chunk of ice. And in return, he gave me a small tomato and ran away before I could return it.” 

All in all, the picnic was a success and congrats to Hugo Reid PTSA and SMW for pulling off this event! 

Photo courtesy of AHS SMW