Polls

What are your Valentine’s Day plans?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Homecoming 2023

A line weaving through the parking lot and gravel walkway of the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County (NHMLAC) greeted Arcadia High School (AHS) students at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 30. The click of heels and dress shoes mixed with Converse and Nike Dunks as the line formed; AHS students formed a broad spectrum of impressive fashion choices. Perfume and excited energy alike permeated the cold night air as the crowd prepared to enter the much anticipated 2023 Homecoming dance. In light of high demand for tickets in 2022, Activities Director Mr. Peter Vo and ASB had announced that they had secured a venue larger than they expected they would need this year, but their expectations were clearly greatly exceeded. And that’s no overstatement—1,100 students purchased tickets for this year’s dance, in comparison to 900 last year. 

The theme was “Through the Looking Glass,” a play on the story of Alice in Wonderland, which drummed up further excitement in the weeks leading up to the dance. Students spent weeks wading through ticket sales, guest contracts, party bus rentals, royalty elections, outfit selections, and shoe shopping. It certainly would be difficult to denounce the widely energetic mosh pit, elegant and spacious venue, broad food spread, and complimentary photo and caricature stations as underwhelming. 

The venue, a modern museum in downtown Los Angeles, wowed guests with sweeping dinosaur skeletons and lighting that set the mood, though only a few entry halls were open to AHS students. There was little space to sit, but the music and excitement of meeting with friends livened the mood anyway. Another big hit with guests seemed to be the very theme-accurate dinosaur chicken nuggets served as hors d’oeuvres, along with a variety of desserts. In other rooms, students could be found “moshing,” getting caricature portraits drawn, creating fun photo strips, playing giant Jenga, taking pictures, and wiping away heavy sweat from the aforementioned “moshing.” 

Overall, the event seemed to be a hit with AHS students, easily comparable to past homecoming dances, and possibly even surpassing them. With interest in the seemingly dance growing with each passing year, students are surely looking forward to what ASB can come up with to top this next year. But for now, attendees can look back at their photo strips and memories of the night happily.

Photo courtesy of Merjan Kwhajazada