Polls

What are your Valentine’s Day plans?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The Romance Trend in Today’s Music Scene

<3

“It’s a cruel summer with you,” Taylor Swift sings in her hit single, “Cruel Summer.” 

Interestingly enough, “Cruel Summer” isn’t a recent release by Swift. In fact, it was released four years ago. According to Forbes, “the track’s popularity skyrocketed when she began performing it during her highly-successful The Eras Tour.”

There might be an underlying reason for the song’s popularity. The song, like many others of Swift’s, focuses on young adult relationships. “Cruel Summer” narrates a casual relationship that takes place during a summer where Swift catches feelings for her lover and the relationship can no longer be casual (causing the relationship to turn into “a cruel summer”). Like Swift, numerous renowned artists center their music around themes of relationships and romance, but why? Fans and listeners have a variety of theories.

“I think romance songs are so popular, since they are relatable in many aspects,” stated sophomore Sidnee Lam. “Many listeners have experience with what the singer is singing about.”

Heartbreak is a universal theme that singers can use to resonate with a wide audience. According to The Edge, “songs that are about love or heartbreak are seen as the most accessible for listeners to relate to through their own personal experiences with love.” Countless artists like Swift have built successful careers and reputations by crafting songs that explore the complexities of love and relationships. On a broader scale, the theme of relationships can often create a powerful connection between fans and the artist behind the song who have had similar experiences. So when did the trend of “love” begin its journey in the music world? 

Love as a theme in music can be traced back to ancient civilizations such as the Romans, Greeks and the Egyptians. Though, it was only until the Romantic period that themes of “love” started to become popularized. This era produced some of the most famous and enduring love songs in classical music, including works by composers like Franz Schubert, Robert Schumann, and Hector Berlioz.

“From my musical experiences, I’ve analyzed dozens of pieces, romance, and love is prevalent through many of them,” stated sophomore Brian Yuan from Orchestra in an interview.

“Specifically to those catered to the Romantic period of music, where expression was a big part of musicality,” Yuan further noted.

From there on, themes of love continued to embed themselves into various musical genres of the 20th century—including but not limited to rock, R&B, jazz, pop, and folklore. Artists like The Beatles and Elvis Presley were among the largest contributors to this theme by creating iconic songs that are still enjoyed today. Some of the timeless tunes are “If I Fell” and “Something” by The Beatles, as well as “Always On My Mind” by Elvis Presley. Today, singers like Taylor Swift, Olivia Rodrigo and Justin Bieber, carry on the romance trend in music for the younger generations.  

That raises another question. Who are they singing about? The answer is: no one knows! None of the artists have actually confirmed that their songs talk about past relationships they’ve had, even though many of the lyrics are shockingly similar. In Olivia Rodrigo’s first heartbreak single, “drivers license,” Olivia sings about a blonde girl who is older than her. Many fans were convinced that Olivia was hinting at the alleged love triangle between herself, American singer and actor Sabrina Carpenter, and actor Joshua Bassett. Carpenter is four years older than Rodrigo and has blonde hair. However, Rodrigo has never disclosed the relationship that inspired her songs.  

Regardless of whom the lyrics are towards, these songs will always serve as a testament to our adventures of love and heartbreak. In today’s music scene, artists are able to embrace personal experiences while forging a deeper connection with fans. As music continues to be involved, we know that the universal language of love will never perish.

So next time you’re heartbroken about a breakup, just know that Swift cried like a baby coming home while Rodrigo now drives alone past her ex’s street. 

Photo courtesy of PICKPIK