Thank You, Dana SciOly Volunteers

Tanya Lee, Opinion Editor

For many people, the weekend is a fresh breath of air at the end of a busy week. It brings chances to sleep in until the sun is high in the sky, go out with friends or family, catch up on that TV show they’ve had their eyes on, and stay up late watching said show. But for one group of people, the weekend is just as busy as any other weekday. Meet the dedicated volunteers behind the Dana Middle School Science Olympiad team.

From 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. each Saturday, coaches work tirelessly to prepare middle schoolers for grueling scientific competitions. Whether it’s through patiently assembled presentations or frantic yet precise experiments, they do their best to bestow their plethora of scientific knowledge upon groups of middle schoolers in hour-long sessions.

However, the true beauty of these extends far beyond this simple explanation. Imagine having to teach AP-level concepts to sixth graders, barely starting to take their first steps in the world of science. These coaches teach them to run marathons, diving headfirst into niche fields of science that go far beyond the classroom. Imagine entrusting confused middle schoolers with chemicals, sharp knives, and fragile materials. These coaches transform them into chemists and engineers, leaving them to run complex laboratory experiments or build delicate devices capable of things beyond imagination. Imagine having to tell students that they have to learn even more than they already have during the week. These coaches inspire the students to spend countless hours poring over books and internet resources, willingly.

And they aren’t even trained teachers. Some of them might not even be scientists. They are parents, working nine-to-five jobs, taking care of their own families. Perhaps it is exactly this flexibility that allows them to do what they do. Despite their already extraordinary efforts to guide students through the intricate world of STEM, they push further.

They teach students to be team players, building teamwork through group labs and discussions. They simultaneously foster students’ public speaking and encourage deeper levels of understanding through student-led lessons, and an annual science fair in which students share their newfound knowledge. They cultivate an extensive set of life and study skills so that students aren’t just good at science, but can apply their talents to everything life throws at them. Through some sort of miracle, the coaches change shy middle schoolers into confident young scientists ready to tackle school and the world beyond.

At the end of the year, none of them step up and claim responsibility for the gleaming medals and shining trophies. They snap photo after photo of the bright smiles on students’ faces, proudly thrusting their children into the spotlight. When it comes to the Dana Science Olympiad team, it goes without saying. Behind every medal, every trophy, every joyous face, is the hard work of the coaches.

Eventually, the season ends. But when it comes time to leave the nest, each student is more than ready to soar, thanks to the volunteers that watch as they fly away and turn, ready to welcome the next generation of hatchlings.