Arcadia Unified’s Longley Way Elementary Earns National Blue Ribbon Recognition

Emily Banuelos, Staff Writer

Longley Way Elementary School is to be named the 2019 National Blue Ribbon School! 

The National Blue Ribbon School Program recognizes private and public elementary, middle, and high schools, on their overall academic performance. It is given to the schools with students displaying the mastering of challenging content. More than 9,000 schools globally have been recognized with the National Blue Ribbon School award. This recognition is given out annually by the U.S. Department of Education to schools demonstrating excellence in the high academic achievements of students. It is getting increasingly difficult to receive this award with the rising competition among students.

“As a National Blue Ribbon School, students’ success demonstrates what is possible when committed educators partner with parents and community leaders to create vibrant, challenging cultures of learning,” elaborated U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos in a video message to this year’s Blue Ribbon award recipients on what it means to receive this honor.

Earning this award for one’s school is astounding, not only for the administration and student but, as a community. In addition, earning this distinguished award for the school district displays their academic and social achievements.

Longley Way fifth-grade teacher Mrs. Wearp says that “it’s a privilege and honor to work for a school that has been recognized for their commitment to providing an innovative culture that inspires students to reach for their highest potential.”

Longley Way fourth-grade teacher and Blue Ribbon applicant committee member Mrs. Davidson explains, “when I heard our school was applying for the National Blue Ribbon award, I felt very proud and honored to be a part of the process. We are fortunate to have so many opportunities in our district to collaborate with and learn from all of our elementary schools, middle schools, and our high school, so, to me, this title is a reflection of how great our district is as a whole.”

Longley Way Elementary was also recognized last year as a California Distinguished School.  AUSD was recently named by Niche as being in the 99th-percentile of the overall best school districts with the best teachers and best places to teach in America, California, and Los Angeles. The Arcadia district is home to the 2019 California History Teacher of the Year and one of 16 Los Angeles County 2019 Teachers of the Year. 

Longley Way Elementary will be receiving its official National Blue Ribbon award at a ceremony in Washington, D.C. which will be held on Nov. 14. If you would like to see more information on Longley Way Elementary’s National Blue Ribbon recognition you may visit the AUSD website. 

Graphic Courtesy of 2.ED.GOV