Tutoring Programs at AHS

Emily Banuelos, Staff Writer

Tutoring can be beneficial in several ways whether it be assisting students in improving their academic performance and work or study habits, preparing for college, or encouraging responsibility. In AHS’ library, there is free tutoring offered to all students in every subject. Peer tutoring is held every Monday through Friday after school from 3:00 to 4:00 p.m. in the school’s library. Tutors work with a small group of students who need help in the same subject.

Furthermore, National Honor Society (NHS) offers one-on-one tutoring sessions, and there is no sign-up required. Sessions are held every Wednesday morning from 8:00 to 9:00 a.m. or during after-school hours. If the student requests their teacher for a form, the tutoring will be free of charge. 

Freshmen Rebeca Drago states, “Going to peer tutoring has been a major key to raising my grades, and I am very thankful for it. It also has shown me how to prioritize my work with my social life. I recommend tutoring to other students who want to develop good study habits and note-taking skills as well.” 

Tutoring can improve students’ self-confidence and persistence in completing tasks. It reduces dropout rates and failure by getting the assistance students need in order to succeed. Also, it promotes learning material which in turn enables teachers to set higher goals for student learning. Students’ retention levels thus advance when learning new material in class because tutoring provides an efficient means of providing individualized instruction to students who need it. 

Peer tutoring is intended to support all students who believe they have reached a plateau and are struggling to advance and to support all students in all academic matters regardless of grade, subject, or learning ability. 

Senior Brieann Chan says, “Tutoring has been very influential in my high school academic career because without the help I’ve received throughout the years I know my GPA wouldn’t be where it is today.” 

In addition, Sophomore Trinity Choi says, “Having a private tutor has impacted my life for the better. I have learned how to take what I learn from my tutor and use it when studying or taking a test.”

All in all, there are many benefits for students to attend tutoring sessions like raising grades, having the ability to grasp new concepts, and being able to apply what they learned in class!

Graphic Courtesy of SHERIDANCOLLEGE.CA