How to Become a Freelance Artist

How to Become a Freelance Artist

Leslie Chen, Staff Writer

Many artists are self-employed and do their own freelance work for clients. Becoming a freelance artist is not easy, as it can take years of hard work and persistence to become well-known. However, by taking the time to determine your ability as a freelancer and thoughtfully setting up your business, you’ll be able to start freelancing and enjoy a rewarding career!

Assess your ability.

Before you begin planning to work as a freelance artist, you’ll need to honestly assess your ability first. Taking an objective and unbiased look at your work can help you decide if freelancing is the right choice for you. An excellent way to assess your skills is to compare your work with that of other artists. Obviously, you can’t expect to be successful if you aren’t willing to compete.

Consider freelancing in your lifestyle.

Consider how having a freelancing business will fit into your lifestyle and how it will affect your relationships. Keep in mind that you will need to allot specific times and find a place to work. Additionally, freelancing can be very physically and emotionally demanding. Knowing whether or not the time and demands fit in with your lifestyle will be important if you want to run a successful business.

Offer different products and services.

Many artists will offer different product services such as ceramics, photographs, and paintings. The more diversified you are, the more likely you are to appeal to a broader group of people. However, even if you offer different services, it’s a good idea to have a type of art you specialize in to attract clients. It’s also important to not be too diversified; offer several services that you do well in, rather than a dozen that you’re an amateur in.

Make a portfolio of your work.

A portfolio will be very beneficial in your search for clients. Take pictures of your work and consistently update them if you plan to post your portfolio online. Make sure to include your signature style, as well as other types of artwork, to appeal to a wider variety of tastes and budgets clients may have.

Use social media.

In the age of technology, social media can help you find an audience. Setting up accounts on apps like Instagram or Facebook can help advertise your work. Post pictures regularly and use hashtags to increase your visibility. Freshman Doris Ma commended the usage of social media for artists. “Through my Instagram art account, I was able to reach an audience and could sell my work. It’s definitely a lot easier to build a following with social media.”

Hopefully, with the help of these tips, you’ll find that freelancing can be a rewarding and enjoyable career, as long as you play your cards out right!

Photo Courtesy of PINTEREST.PH