What is Love?

Frances Cheung, Staff Writer

By definition, love is considered an “intense feeling of deep affection.” However, those who have experienced it can arguably say that love isn’t a concept that can simply be summarized in just a short phrase. Love can come in many different forms, whether it’s love for another person, such as your family members, your friends, or—as it’s more commonly associated with—a significant other. On the other hand, love can be used to express a deep attachment to other things as well. For instance, affection can be for a pet, a commonly eaten food, or even an object, such as a well-enjoyed book. While a dictionary definition might touch on the bare minimum of what love is, it doesn’t really grasp the complete idea of such a deep human emotion. Much can be said about this unique feeling that almost all of us have memories of. Truly, we all have our own different experiences with loving and being loved and thus have our own definitions that go in more depth. In the spirit of February and the love that drifts in the air, the following below are definitions of what love means to a few of our classmates and students.

“Love is when you lock someone out of a car while you’re inside, or when you give the last slice of pizza away.” —Candace Chen, 10

“The definition of love is Jungkook.” —Erika Luu, 11

“You will think about someone every day and even when you go to sleep or wake up in the morning. It’s a feeling of warmth, and an urge to want to talk to that person as much as you can.” —Jill Chen, 10

“Korean drama love.” —YiLing Chen, 12

Whether you plan to spend Valentine’s Day alone, or with someone who means something to you, just remember that out there in this vast world, you are loved and appreciated by someone. Spread the love!