Checking In with the Freshmen

Atussa Kian, Staff Writer

In the words of Taylor Swift, “It’s freshman year and you’re gonna be here for the next four years of your life.” The first year of high school is different for everyone. It can be difficult, easier than expected, new, or the same. With a considerable chunk of the school year behind us, it’s interesting to hear what the freshmen think about how the year has progressed so far.

Freshman Julia Long said, “My freshman year is going great so far. I’ve enjoyed getting to build new friendships, making the softball team, and meeting new people.”

For some freshmen, a single event stuck out as the highlight of their year. Freshman Audrey Hinds said her year has been “easy until I got a concussion.” Ouch.

Freshman Monet Latunde said, “Freshman year has so far been super exciting and overwhelming.” Monet continued, “It’s gotten better than when the school year had just begun.” 

It seems like that sort of outlook is a trend among ninth-graders who have gotten more used to high school as the year has moved forward. Considering that freshman year is the “make it or break it” year in determining whether or not individuals adjust well in high school, it is fortunate that so many have been enjoying themselves so far.

Of course, this positive view can differ from person to person depending on the activities you have been involved in as well as the type of people you have surrounded yourself with. 

Clearly, many have been enjoying their first year at AHS so far. Let’s hope the same thing can be said when they all become sophomores next year.