K-Drama Korner: Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo

Nicole Soong, Staff Writer

Korean dramas are famous because of the dazzling actors, exciting plots, and diverse variety. In 2016, there were lots of popular Korean dramas, includingGoblin, Descendants of the Sun, W- Two Worlds, Legend of the Blue Sea, and more. All had dramatic plots featuring a goblin (literally), soldiers, comic lead character, mermaid, and more surreal characters. I am going to do a review on a drama that portrays the pure love two college students: Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo.

Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo was a drama aired from Nov. 16, 2016 to Jan. 11, 2017. The drama portrayed the love between the weightlifter, Kim Bok-Joo, and the swimmer, Jung Joon-Hyung. The simple love between the two young couple was presented by the lively acting skill of the two actors, Lee Sung-Kyung and Nam Joo-Hyuk, accompanied by other supporting characters. The plot is about the bright weightlifter who found her “first love” when Joon-Hyung’s brother treated her like a woman for the first time in her life. As a friend, Joon-Hyung helped her get his brother’s heart but felt in love with Bok-Joo while doing so. After all the fancy plots, they finally got together and displayed a realistic love life between lovers on-screen as well as with sweet behind-the-scenes.

Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo was one of the Korean dramas that was aired recently that didn’t include non-realistic elements, which was rare considering the drama trend in 2016. The plot was fairly cute and fluffy, describing the simple love of the lovers, and the excellent acting skills of the actors made the drama pragmatic and relatable. This is one of the dramas that was very memorable without over-exaggerated plots.

In my opinion, the drama is suitable for all to watch: the actors were cute and handsome, the plot was easy to understand, and the vibe of the drama is constantly positive. The drama epitomizes the trait and charm of youth with the portrayals of first love, loyal friends, challenges, downfalls, and accomplishments. The drama is very raw and real in comparison to the recent dramas, which displayed the typical lives of college students and what they should be experiencing. The chemistry between the actors is also an attractive point to the drama, no matter if it is on-screen or off-screen. One specialty of the drama is that the focus of the drama is always Kim Bok-Joo, unlike some that would shift the attention to others. The drama describes revolve around Bok-Joo: her friends, her career, her love life, her struggle, her family

Spending the cozy weekend with this fluffy Korean drama is definitely a great choice. The calm plot can carry you out of the stress from school, and allow you to feel the feeling of being in love.