High School Jobs

Cindy Tse, Staff Writer

High school is a great time to get a job, but there are many places reluctant to hire young teens in the fear that we are too unreliable or have too many other activities going on. It leaves few options in terms of entry level positions that we can talk. All too often, we are faced with the dilemma of only finding companies that want experience, and none that are willing to provide it to the fresh-faced youths slowly joining the workforce. However, that’s not to say that finding a job is completely impossible for high schoolers. But it will take a bit of extra effort on part of the student to make themselves seem a more appealing choice.

The first tip to getting a job is to not be picky. It’s not exactly like high schoolers are few and far between, so be open to being hired for doing any kind of work. Especially if it is a first job, the only thing you’re looking for at the moment is experience. As The Balance Careers puts it, “The more flexibility you have, the more opportunities you’ll be able to apply for. Plus, even if the job wasn’t your first choice, it may turn out to be better than you expected.” To make things easier, focus on potential places near your home. For underclassmen, this is especially important because it’s likely you are unable to drive yet. If there aren’t any businesses around you, see if any of the neighbors want a regular babysitter or dog walker.

For those of us under 18, which is a majority of high schoolers, it is also important to get your papers in order. Once hired, you need the place you’re working at to sign a work permit, which can be found in the Career Center. Be aware of how many hours you are allowed to work, as minors have more limitations on how long they can work compared to the average part time employee. When you have an interview, make sure to dress well. For entry-level work, one of the most desired qualities is flexibility. The more often you’re available to be called in, the better; bonus points if you’re consistent with your schedule. Senior Sandra Tang works as a tutor for an afterschool, saying, “The most important part of keeping a job is not only to do well but be reliable. That means showing up on time and being proactive in helping employers.”

Getting a high school job can seem to be more hassle than it’s worth. But it can also have many benefits. Ms. Fitts puts it, “Besides from making money, you are held accountable and have a supervisor who expects quality work. Colleges really value when students have held part time jobs and can show they are responsible.” Building a resume early will make it easier in your job hunt later on. Even if the position is not too long term, having some experience dealing with the work world is invaluable as you get older and finding a job is something absolutely necessary.

Graphic courtesy of FREEPIK.COM