Game of Survival

Alex Kim, Staff Writer

The month of April calls for a show, and AHS is here to give one. Presenting its annual spring dance production is Orchesis Dance Company with “Game of Survival”! Show dates are Apr. 19, 20, 25, and 26 at 7:00 p.m. and Apr. 27 at 6:00 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center.

Every year, the two-hour show features diverse choreography put together by the company members and professionals in the dance industry. With a wide range of genres such contemporary, jazz, hip hop, cultural, and funk along with creative movements and emotional performance, there is something for everyone to enjoy, and audiences will be at the edge of their seats!

In a direction unlike any the company has taken before, “Game of Survival” allows the audience to have the power to choose which route to take within the journey through the mythical kingdom of Zerua. Through various stopping points within the show, the audience will be “asked to decide between several paths that lead to different outcomes in the story by participating in live text voting in a choose-your-own-adventure style,” stated President senior Elizabeth Chang. While watching, they will be “whisked away on an adventure, overcoming obstacles, encountering dangers and betrayals, and learning lessons along the way,” explained Historian junior Jenny Namkoong.

Since September, Orchesis has been diligently preparing for this show, and throughout April, the members rehearse every day after school until 10:00 pm. Through these, the company spaces, performs, and critiques dances repeatedly to “perfect the smallest details in the pieces before the show,” said Jenny. Despite the challenges, Elizabeth added that she is “incredibly proud and thankful for everyone for pushing themselves everyday and for always striving to be the best versions of themselves.” She said that stepping back, it’s still “difficult to comprehend just how much this company has grown in the face of adversity,” so she is excited to see everything that they’ve worked for come together over the next few weeks.

Tickets to the show can be bought for $10 for general admission and $15 for VIP from any Orchesis member or online through ahsorchesis.com. There is also a special rate of $8 on Thursday, Apr. 25 for anyone who is part of an AHS student organization. Prices increase at the door, so don’t wait and miss your opportunity to be swept away into a thrilling “Game of Survival”!

Photo courtesy of ARCADIAPAF.ORG