Grand Central Market Eateries

Cadence Chen, Staff Writer

Downtown LA has many different attractions. But, one of the things people go there the most for is probably the amazing food. There are so many different types of restaurants to satisfy any type of craving. And the place where the most variety of food exists is in Grand Central Market. Grand Central Market is like a giant food court inside an open building. Inside the food court, there are various stands selling all kinds of different foods. Everything from vegan ramen to fresh tacos stuffed with meat and sauce is sold. This is the place to go if you have a large group, and no one can agree on what type of cuisine to eat. Of course, Grand Central Market can be extremely overwhelming if it’s your first time eating there. It’s loud, big, and crowded at all hours of the day. So, here is a list of my favorite places to eat at Grand Central Market.

Ramen Hood: Ramen Hood, as you can probably tell, sells ramen. Not only is the ramen delicious, but the ramen is also vegan! Good for your body and the Earth. Ever since becoming vegetarian, I’m constantly searching for restaurants that sell vegan or vegetarian food. Ramen Hood has quite a limited menu, but that doesn’t make it any less delicious. The noodles are chewy and a little on the thicker side for ramen noodles, so if you don’t like that, then you might not enjoy Ramen Hood. But, as for me, I am a huge fan of chewy, thick noodles, so the Ramen Hood noodles are perfect for me! Their soup is sunflower seed based and just as creamy and flavorful as its non-vegan counterparts. It comes with mushrooms, bok choy, bean sprouts, and some seaweed, depending on what type of ramen you get. You can even add a vegan egg! So, if you love ramen as much as I do, I definitely suggest checking Ramen Hood out the next time you’re at Grand Central Market.

Olio GCM Wood Fired Pizzeria: Well, that’s certainly a mouthful. But a tasty mouthful. This pizzeria sells, surprise surprise, pizza. They have all the classics. Cheese, Margherita, and more options! Of course, their pizza is only for certain people. If you like a thick, chewy crust with loads of cheese on top, this might not be your pizzeria. This pizzeria’s pizzas are thin-crusted, with a lot of delicious marinara sauce, and a good, but not outrageous, amount of cheese on top. Their portions are perfect as well. The pizza is just big enough to make you full, but not big enough where you can’t finish it by yourself. Not to mention, they have a great vegan pizza. So, the next time you’re in Downtown LA, craving some nice thin crusted pizza, swing by Olio GCM Wood Fired Pizzeria!

McConnell’s Fine Ice Cream: Now that we’ve gone through the main courses, let’s get to the part everyone has been waiting for. Dessert! McConnell’s is not your average ice cream. They have dozens of different unique flavors that just beg you to try them. Some flavors include chocolate covered strawberries, Earl Grey tea and shortbread cookies, vanilla grapefruit, and pecan pralines. Is your mouth watering yet? It should be. Because not only are their flavors not the usual boring ones, they all taste amazing. In addition, its ice cream is made from scratch from organic ingredients and is produced in the most sustainable way possible. They also have dairy free products!

Have I convinced you to go to Grand Central Market yet? Hopefully, I have. And hopefully, if you go there, you’ll take into consideration my suggestions. “Grand Central Market is a great place. There is such a wide variety of food that, no matter what, you’ll always leave feeling satisfied!” says freshman Audrey Stephenson. Happy eating!