Cheap Art Supplies

Cadence Chen, Staff Writer

Sometimes, we just need to save a little money, but let’s face it, art supplies can be expensive. After all, quality over quantity right? But with the art community growing, supplies have continued to evolve. There are now a growing number of knock-off brands of more expensive ones, that work just fine.

Ohuhu Markers: When people say “alcohol markers”, people imagine all the big brands first. Copics, Winsor Newton, and Prismacolor are a few. But, the bigger and more famous the brand is, the more expensive each individual marker is. For instance, just one Copic sketch marker costs around five dollars. On Amazon, a six marker set of skin tones costs around $28. Without the sale, the pack costs about $42. Of course, with a bit of time and effort, you could probably find a pack for less. But, not everyone can afford to spend about $40 on a pack of markers. Ohuhu markers are the perfect alternative to more expensive marker brands. They don’t come with brush nibs like a lot of expensive markers, but they work extremely well and have a wide variety of colors. And, for a pack of 80 markers, you only have to pay $40! So, which are you going to choose, a pack of six for $40 or a pack of 80?

Arteza Water Brush Pens: One of the most popular water brush pens, is the Pentel Aquash water brush. However, they are rather pricey. For a set of four, you pay roughly around 16 dollars. What if I told you that there is a much cheaper option, with the same number of pens and an extremely similar aesthetic? The Arteza Water Brush Pens look almost exactly the same, with the same clear, blue tinged, barrel that tapers at the end and topped with a slender brush and cap. And they are significantly cheaper than the Pentel Aquash. The Arteza pens cost about $9 compared to the Pentel ones, which cost around $16. You get the same look, same amount of pens, and a similar quality with a $7 difference. What a steal, am I right?

Minimalism Art Journal: Many people love the look of a clean, simple, leather sketchbook. It allows for any type of customization, or if you want, you can leave it simple, perhaps opting for a more professional look. A lot of people turn to the Leuchtturm sketchbook when looking for a sketchbook like this. But I have another alternative. The Minimalism Art Journal. It gives you the simple, clean look of the Leuchtturm in a variety of different colors. You can also choose the pattern of the paper inside. Choices include dotted, lined, grid, or just plain paper. Of course, the best thing about this sketchbook is the price. The Leuchtturm costs about $24, but the Minimalism Art Journal costs only $10! The quality is also great. So, what are you waiting for? Ditch that Leuchtturm and turn to the Minimalism Art Journal! You won’t be disappointed.

There is still a plethora of other cheap art supplies just waiting for you out there! Cheap doesn’t necessarily mean bad. Instead of spending that extra money on expensive art supplies, buy from a different and cheaper brand and save that money. Of course, be wary. Not all knock-offs are good. “I believe that the price of the art supply doesn’t determine the quality. Nowadays there are a lot of good, cheap art supplies, which is really nice,” says freshman Kirsten Fuu.