Athlete Crushes

Ashley Lee, Staff Writer

Valentine’s Day is a special time to show affection towards our loved ones. This day recognizes those who have special meaning in our lives and, whether they may be someone we look up to or even someone who we wish to be. Many of the athletes at AHS have grown up as huge fans of their favorite professional athletes, looking up to them throughout their sports careers. In honor of this special holiday this month, let’s see what our Varsity winter athletes have to say about their favorite professional athletes.

Girls Varsity Basketball guard sophomore Courtney Hayata stated that Giannis Antetokounmpo, a Greek professional basketball player for the Milwaukee Bucks team of the National Basketball Association, is her favorite athlete. She says this is because “probably no one will be able to spell or say his name correctly.”

Forward sophomore Kristi Kodama, also a member of the Girls Varsity Basketball team, stated that “one of her favorite professional athletes is Jeremy Lin, because not only is he one of the first Asian Americans to make a name in the NBA, but he also is humble and a follower of Christ.” Later on, Kristi shares that “in all honesty, [sophomore] Ashley Sue is my favorite athlete.” Ashley is currently a guard on the Girls Varsity Basketball team and was named to the Pasadena Star-News All-Area Girls Basketball team last year.

Girls Varsity Soccer forward freshman Teresa Rosas shared that her favorite athlete would “probably have to be Lionel Messi.” Known as one of the greatest players of the generation, Messi is currently an Argentine footballer playing for FC Barcelona, in addition to being captain of the Argentina national football team. While a height of five foot seven inches, Messi is no victim of a short stature. Just like much of the rest of the world would agree, Teresa explained Messi shows “that size never determines the way you play.” Defender junior Stephanie Yen’s favorite athlete is also Messi. Besides having the same reason as Teresa, she also acknowledges his “good vision” and also praises him, saying that he is a “playmaker.”

It is no doubt that behind every star player, there is a story. They’ve all grown throughout their sports careers with a role model in mind, and that person has definitely shaped the way they have played or inspired them in some way.