Thank You, Mr. Wang

Jeremy Du, Academics Editor

Not only is he a great AHS faculty member and a great history teacher, but also a great role model, mentor, and friend. He brings his experience and knowledge each day to H107 all the way at the south end of campus. Exuding his calm demeanor, he is always willing not only to help his students but also converse with them as friends. He is someone who is not only hard working and tenacious in helping those around him but also someone who carries a positive attitude with him wherever he goes. He is Mr. Wang.

Pursuing one’s passion is definitely a key to success, and Mr. Wang certainly has done this. Being a history teacher for years is a testament to his true love for the subject. He is familiar in many types and levels of social sciences, including AP US History, Modern World History, and AP Human Geography. This wealth of knowledge he has allows him to teach with confidence and happiness. However, he doesn’t only have breadth of knowledge, but depth of knowledge as well. He is very comfortable with what he teaches, meaning he can explain concepts clearly and effectively to his students. His passion for history is also demonstrated through History Bowl. As its coach for years, he has put in time and effort to both help the members study and chaperone them to competitions.

Not only is Mr. Wang knowledgeable and passionate about what he does, but he is also innovative. For example, he and Mrs. Moore created an assignment for their joint AP US History classes called “IDs.”  Essentially, IDs are sets of vocabulary terms given each unit that students must define on flash cards in a few sentences. The definitions must specifically include who, what, when, where, and why the term is important. IDs are especially innovative and beneficial to students because they act as an aid for when students are learning new material, give students more points in the gradebook (that can raise their grades), and act as an extremely useful study tool for class tests and for the AP test. Mr. Wang and Mrs. Moore’s joint classes are the only AP US History classes at AHS that assign IDs, setting them apart as innovators.

Often times, one may see many students around him. Why, you may ask? Because he is welcoming and understanding. He is friendly and willing to have a conversation with a student about almost anything, from the details of the Civil War to football teams. In fact, he has his door unlocked during lunch for anyone who wants to drop in! In addition, the understanding nature he has as a teacher is especially appreciated by his students. For example, many of his AP US History juniors are very thankful for his occasional due date extensions on big assignments, which makes it easier for them to handle their hectic and rigorous year.

To many who have or have had him as a teacher, including myself, Mr. Wang has been an amazing teacher. He achieves success in the classroom by guiding his students using his vast knowledge and innovative methods. He brightens up his students’ days with his passion for what he does. His welcoming and understanding attitude makes him someone his students look up to. He is Mr. Wang.

-Jeremy Du, 12, Pow Wow, Academics Editor