What are you thankful for?

Kylie Ha, Staff Writer

Not only does Thanksgiving mean endless slices of warm pumpkin and apple pie with vanilla ice cream, watching the Thanksgiving Day Parade, creating hand turkeys, and baking homemade casseroles and cornbread, but also a time to be grateful for everything that we have, including our family and friends!

Sometimes, it’s easier to focus on what we don’t have, rather than what we do have. It’s essential to take the time out of our lives and remember all of the things to be thankful for that many of us take for granted – we need to love and cherish the things and people we appreciate deeply in our life.

By students all around at AHS, each and every individual is thankful for something else – whether it be good health, freedom of religion, weekends, opportunity to get an education, and the feeling of safety and security.

As a typical Thanksgiving break consists of traveling to different places around the world, it also includes creating new memories with friends and families! Junior Elisha Wang is thankful for the privilege of having a supportive and knowledgeable family who takes the time to sit down and talk about her aspirations and goals for the future. “They make me realize how valuable time is. My family works so hard to make sure my siblings and I are able to travel and enjoy things even though they really don’t have to.” Throughout the week of relaxation, it’s crucial to recognize how important the presence of friends and families are, they teach life lessons! “I’ve spent Thanksgiving break with them in Paris!”

Similar to Elisha, freshman Abby Wang is grateful for her dog and friends. “I’m spending my Thanksgiving break doing homework, especially grinding out on biology honors labs and other projects.” Despite the fact that weekend homework may be given, it doesn’t stop students from catching up on all the sleep they’ve missed and being productive – finally, getting the next week’s homework done with!

Friendships aren’t something that should be taken for granted – they help us deal with stress, make better lifestyle choices, keep us strong, and allow us to stay healthy with our mental health. “I’m thankful for my friends because they motivate me and are always willing to listen to me,” said freshman Stephanie Chen. “I’ve made so many memories with them! I’m also appreciative for food because it’s so good and it keeps me alive and functioning.”

Junior Hayeong Kim can’t be more appreciative of her parents and their unconditional love they have for her. “I’m thankful for my parents because even if I make mistakes, they always love me. My mom and dad try their best to make me happy and don’t push me academically as hard as other parents.” Along with that, traveling out of the city, state, or even country is a common tradition that a majority of students at AHS take part in. “I spent Thanksgiving with my family and church people at Palm Springs!”

To be grateful means to have a great attitude – a positive stance or position towards the present moment. Whether you get to tell your family, friends, or significant other of what you’re grateful for, try writing down one thing you appreciate – no matter how big or small!