Leo Club Adaptive Sports Festival

Jeslyn Chou, Writer

On Nov. 10, the school volunteer organization, LEO Club, participated in the first annual Adaptive Sports Festival. This event took place in Brookside Park in Pasadena and was hosted by Triumph Foundation. According to the foundation’s website, this occasion “offers wheelchair sports to people that are newly injured, children, Veterans, and others with disabilities.” Attendees were able to participate in activities including, but not limited to, tennis, dance, rugby, art, and zumba. As for LEO Club volunteers, they worked at various booths and stations throughout the festival. Not only were there coaches and instructors to teach the sports, but it was also free to people of all ages and athletic capability!

In addition, LEO Club President Carrie Saleeb stated that 12 Arcadia LEO members attended the event. As for what motivated her to participate in the event, she replied that “LEO Club’s main mission is to serve our community in any way we can.” Carrie added that this festival was an opportunity for them to spread inclusivity and positivity to those who may need it most! Lastly, she shared that “at the end of the day, people change people. We want to create a change for the better, even if it’s through something as simple as sports!”

Prior to the event, a couple members of LEO Club decided to share their thoughts on the festival, and what inspired them to participate! As a new member of the club, freshman Tanvi Batra was excited to be able to teach sports to children who are younger than her, and encourage them to stay active. When asked why she wanted to participate in the festival, Tanvi replied, “Playing sports has been something I’ve been interested in my whole life and a way for me to clear my head. I wanted the chance to be able to help people with disabilities gain [or regain] a love for sports as well.”

Agreeing with Tanvi’s sentiments, freshman Myriam Christensen was interested in participating in this event because of her love for sports, as well as being an active and benevolent member in her community. Whether Myriam is setting up, coaching, assisting participants, or helping registration, she is thankful to be able to volunteer at this event. She felt that this opportunity would be a great memory in her high school career, and that it would be able to encourage others to volunteer as well!

In conclusion, the Adaptive Sports Festival truly encouraged so many people with disabilities to engage in sports. Not only did participants get to exercise, but they were also able to have fun with family and friends. Thank you to all LEO Club members who participated!

Photo Courtesy of triumph-foundation.org