65th Annual Arcadia Festival of Bands

Kali Tam, Staff Writer

The 65th Annual Arcadia Festival of Bands (AFOB), which is one of the longest running band competitions in the state, will be taking place on Nov. 17. This all-day event will feature more than 40 other prestigious bands from California, including Mira Mesa, Rancho Bernardo, and Mt. Carmel, and consists of several different parts—the Dignitary Parade, Band Review, percussion festival, and the highly-awaited SCSBOA Field Show.

To start the event, the Dignitary Parade will begin at 8:40 a.m. on Baldwin Avenue. This year, with the theme as “Apache Legacy,” the city has appointed Steven and Debbie Schroyer as the Grand Marshals to lead off the Dignitary Parade. The theme serves to reflect on and thank the countless parents, teachers, and mentors who have contributed positively towards the development of the youth in this community. The Schroyers, longtime residents of Arcadia and proud alumni parents of two band kids, are the perfect archetype for this theme—not only did they support the Band and Colorguard by volunteering at every event while their children were attending high school, but they even continued to make a difference by helping out at competitions long after their children had graduated.

After the leadoff of the parade from these two remarkable individuals, the Arcadia Band and Colorguard then commence the official Band Review at 9:00 a.m. with their parade song, “March of the Women’s Marines,” and will be followed by the First Avenue Middle School, Dana Middle School, and Foothills Middle School bands. Parents, alumni, and other spectators will often line the sidewalks of Arcadia to experience all of the bands performing, and many will fill the stands of Arcadia High’s Salter Stadium to witness the Percussion Festival at 11:00 a.m after the Band Review concludes. Once the talented percussionists have finished drumming their tunes, the Band and Colorguard will move on to the SCSBOA 6A Field Championship Show, which begins at 6:00 p.m. at Citrus College.

While this competition may seem similar to other events that the Band and Colorguard participate in throughout the year, AFOB is an event that is very close to the members’ hearts. Junior Eugene Kim, a percussionist, expresses that the event gives members a “greater opportunity to represent [their] pride, school, and city,” and allows them to “show family and friends the countless hours of practice and tremendous effort that have been put into the performance.” Mark your calendars for the 65th Annual AFOB and support our Band and Colorguard at their final performance of the season!

Photo courtesy of ARCADIASBEST.COM