Mr. AHS

Mr.+AHS

Gavin Do, Staff Writer

On Nov. 9, during lunch, ASB hosted its annual Mr. AHS at the rally courts. Mr. AHS is a pageant-like talent show that showcases a select eight seniors who compete head-to-head for the title of Mr. AHS. This event consists of many rounds that test the competitors’ style, personality, and, of course, talent. This year our two hosts were seniors Tracy Hou and Tiffany Zhu, and our judges were our senior homecoming princesses. And finally, our eight contestants for the title of Mr. AHS were Troy Scott, Dillon Nam, Milo Loretto, Matthew KQ, Armand Minasian, Micheal Iniguez, Justin Banh, and Oliver Lu.

Mr. AHS is a fun, silly, and entertaining pageant that our fellow Apaches put on to showcase a few students. As this is specifically geared toward seniors, ASB highly encourages everyone to come out and support because even though you may not know the competitors, the show that is put on is very funny and entertaining. I asked our host Tracy how the whole event goes down and she gave me a little rundown. The whole contest is summed up into three rounds. The first round judges the person’s style by having them complete in a 30-second catwalk. The next round is a questionnaire in which the competitors will be asked questions so the audience will get to know them better. And lastly is the talent round where each individual will be able to showcase their talents. The judges score each person after each round and the one with the most tallies added up at the end is crowned Mr. AHS.

This event was started by the class of 2018, and it gained a lot of popularity because it was new and different for AHS. Class of 2019 was hesitant to continue the tradition because they feared doing it wrong and that it wouldn’t be as hyped. When coming to their senses, the seniors decided to continue it because the event is a tradition now, and if they continued the contest, it would pave the way for future classes to do it as well. Tiffany added on by saying that it is a “rare opportunity for [classes] to showcase themselves to the rest of the school in their own unique way.” I also asked her what about this event makes it very popular, and she answered that “the main attraction to this is just being able to see your peers enjoy themselves and present themselves as who they are.”

And this year, Troy Scott won the title of Mr. AHS. His talent, style, and personality brought him all the way to the end. I asked Troy why he thought he won, and he told me that his strategy was to get all the grapes in his mouth when it was thrown to him. He “ended up catching all 5 grapes in a row and [he] had a good feeling that he would win after that.” I also asked him how he felt about winning the title and he said that “It was great to win but overall [he] thought it was a really fun thing to participate in and [he] had a good time being out there with all the other guys.”

If you missed out on this year’s Mr. AHS, don’t forget to catch it next year to see new seniors go for the next Mr. AHS!

Photo courtesy of ASB