Extracurriculars and Time

Kylie Ha, Staff Writer

Even though the start of school was a mere week ago, students from all different grade levels are already starting their extracurricular activities – whether it’s through sports, volunteering, or clubs. From cross country to learning how to play a new instrument, students participate in a variety of outside school activities and learn how to manage their time to fit in within their schedule!

Freshman Amy Ko stated that her Chinese school took up a majority of her weekends. “I’ve been going to Chinese school since I was seven years old – I’ve stopped going for a little bit, but I’m going to continue.” As rigorous as it is, her simple tip brings relief and comfort to many of those taking challenging courses. “For now, if it’s too busy, don’t do extracurricular activities and have all the time in the world- but make sure to resume.” All throughout AHS, a predominance of students take a unique variety of languages- ranging from French classes to Japanese!

A typical schedule for a high schooler is filled with time spent rarely at home and most likely either at school or outside. Junior Daniel Oh said, “I am involved with the volleyball program at school, and I manage my time by setting certain times to do homework. I used to be on my phone until late in the afternoon, but I’ve changed my level of self-discipline so that I can start as soon as I get home.” Taking an extracurricular class takes up a huge chunk of your day and limits the time left for homework or relaxing, so time management and planning is the key to success. “The schedule that you set for yourself may get a bit boring, but in my opinion, it’s the best thing you can do for yourself – especially if you’re in an extracurricular.”

Similar to Daniel Oh, freshman Isaiah Jun plans to play volleyball for the season and takes marching band for a class, but he constantly has after school and early morning practices. “I remind myself to finish my homework when I get home and when I study, I make sure that I’m not with my phone.” Although phones provide information, allow us to be caught up with our friends, and give us a chance to be informed about the world around us, they play a significant role in getting distracted and being sidetracked from our priorities and goals.

Just as how extracurricular activities may be rewarding – either through wins, mastering a concept, or pronouncing a tough word, interests and hobbies outside of school can be slightly draining. Sophomore Kimmy Pajares stated, “Social and work life is super messy, and when school stuff carries over to my social life, it can be frustrating. That’s why I try to keep things separate because you’re more efficient if you’re in the mood to work.”

Despite the fact that extracurriculars take up a huge part of your day, they act as a beneficial and productive learning experience for all students throughout AHS! Whether it’s a music lesson for only thirty minutes or a whole two-hour volunteering session at the nearest hospital, doing extracurricular activities highlights the importance of time management and how to plan a schedule!