Tweaking your Public Speaking!

Jeslyn Chou, Staff Writer

As you graduate each year, you gain more responsibilities and expectations, one of which is public speaking. Whether it’s presenting a class project, or reciting a speech to a roomful of people, it’s essential to be comfortable with this ability. Since we use this skill so often, this article will list some tips and tricks to help you master public speaking.

Practice Makes Perfect
For most people, public speaking can be a nerve-wracking experience. Practicing your piece in front of a friend or family member multiple times can alleviate some of these nerves. Another option is to record yourself and review the footage, enabling you to catch any common errors or mistakes. Although practice makes perfect, make sure to note that nerves are normal! They can help you stay attentive and alert so your performance is even better than your practice sessions.

Who is Your Audience?
When you’re writing your speech, make sure it is directed towards the audience. Depending on your audience, you can use different ways to capture their attention. For example, if you’re speaking to high school students, it would be beneficial to add references that are relatable or popular at the moment. In addition to the memorability of your speech, it’s also important to note that word choice and the content of the speech can impact the audience’s experience as well.

Be Natural
A way to keep the audience interested and engaged is to be yourself. When speaking, try your best to stand naturally, use hand gestures, and maintain eye contact with spectators. Don’t forget to smile! Another way to stay natural throughout your performance is not to speak based on a script. Opt for some main points or a general outline, and elaborate from there.

Powerful Beginnings and Endings
Most likely, the spectators will have to listen to other speeches before and after yours. Therefore, it is crucial that you make your performance the most memorable. One way to do that is with powerful openings and conclusions. Some methods to grab the attention of listeners are to tell a fascinating story, a shocking fact, or a personal anecdote.

How to Calm your Nerves
Almost everyone goes through nerves before a big presentation. While it is normal and can benefit you in the actual performance, it doesn’t feel too great when you’re going through them. To soothe those fears, you could listen to your favorite music beforehand to get you relaxed. More tips include taking deep breaths, chewing gum, or simply thinking positive thoughts to ensure yourself that you’ll do great.

Although public speaking can be a daunting task, just remember that it’s not the end of the world if you make small errors. In the end, mistakes help you grow and become a better public speaker.