ASB Offices and Their Roles

Misha Hsueh, Staff Writer

As a fresh new school year starts, many things are starting to take place at school. One of them is the Fall Associated Student Body (ASB) Election. For many people, it can be their first time running or there are different positions provided at AHS that middle schools don’t typically have. To give everyone a summary of what each role does, I will be listing the main positions for ASB and what each specific position does.

1. President
The president is well-known for being the head of all. Similar to a principal of a school, the job of a president is to oversee and unite all councils, as well as ensuring everyone is completing their goals. Not only that, but the President will be in charge of many different activities and events held at school, such as Homecoming Day. Aside from being in charge, the President’s main role is to gather councils, providing support to each individual member of ASB.

2. Vice President
When people think of Vice President, they think of the President’s backup. That’s not 100% correct. The main job for a Vice President is to plan and be in charge of the Freshman Election and the Spring Elections. In both elections, the Vice President also holds the Royalty nominations/voting for both Homecoming Royalty and Prom Royalty, finding out who is crowned king and queen. Overall, the Vice President organizes bonding events for the members to enjoy and have a great time.

3. Treasurer
Being Treasurer requires a person with responsibility. He/she does all kinds of tasks that involves responsibility, from preparing and ensuring every Tuesday and Thursday meeting to being in charge of leading the approval of all clubs, organizations, and accounts. From overseeing the Fundraising Committee and school-wide recycling, the Treasurer has a lot on his or her plate, but it can potentially help him/her in many ways in the real world.

4. Secretary
A secretary is in charge of having everything written down. On an everyday basis, the secretary is held accountable for making detailed agendas and organizing events that the school will have going on for the upcoming weeks. The secretary also takes roll for events that ASB attends, sets up and cleans up, and keeps track of attendance so that grades are fair.

5. Historian
As the main photographer for all the events ASB holds, the Historian manages the ASB Instagram and Facebook page by uploading photos and advertisements. He/she also produces videos to advertise ASB events such as Spirit Week, dances, etc.