ODC Dance Camp

Alex Kim, Staff Writer

“Who are we? ODC!” From Aug. 6 to 9, Orchesis Dance Company(ODC) attended the annual USA Dance Camp at Knotts Berry Farm Resort along with several other high school teams to kick off their year with dance training and bonding. Each day was packed full of technique class, team-building activities, dance routines, and precious memories.

The dancers started every day bright and early at 6:00 a.m. and trained until 8:00 p.m. or 9:00 p.m. With breakfast followed by warm-ups and class, members were split into smaller groups where they each learned three routines of different styles varying from contemporary and hip hop to jazz and musical theater. On top of those three, all of the teams learned the USA camp dance and were given a choreography challenge to incorporate numerous elements into a dance that was unique to their group.

For these dedicated dancers, downtime was also practice time. During their breakfast, lunch, and dinner breaks, they headed for the ballroom after eating to review their dances and perfect them. On the second day of camp, ODC was given time at the end to spend inside the park. However, collectively, the members decided to keep their tickets for a later date and continued to work on their camp dance, demonstrating their commitment to their art and teamwork. “It was very exhausting,” recalled Treasurer senior Isabella Liu, but because of the time spent learning and bonding together, it was a “super rewarding experience.”

On their fourth day of camp, ODC wrapped up their routines and prepared to perform for judges and other dance teams. “On the last day, there’s always a sense of exhilaration and excitement,” added Vice President junior Scarlet Yang. This, she said, unified the team as they cheered for each dance and performed confidently as a team. Chosen for their skills, performance, and work ethic, dancers selected from each routine also competed in three rounds to bring home the title of Miss Super Sensational. After performing in the camp dance, an across-the-floor, and solo performance, Historian junior Jenny Namkoong made it through to semi-finals, and Dance Captain junior Talia Yip was selected as one of the top ten finalists. From team evaluations, ODC received a Superior plaque, the highest honor, for their choreography challenge and the teamwork award for their display of unity. “Although it was fairly stressful at times, dance camp is impossible not to love,” emphasized President senior Elizabeth Chang. She remembered how when they were at the camp, “all [they wanted] to do was go home” because of the draining schedule, but once they arrived home, “all [they did was] miss camp because of how much fun” they had.

From the experiences at the USA Dance Camp, the company is off to an excellent start. With its positive energy and ever-deepening “Orchesister” connection, it is sure to deliver incredible performances throughout the year!

Photo courtesy of JENNY NAMKOONG