Promposal Contest

Promposal Contest

Julia Lin, Staff Writer

To excite students about AHS’ upcoming prom, Prom Committee hosted a Promposal Contest from May 4 to May 18, with the winner revealed on May 25. Students participating in the contest submitted their promposal entries by posting on the AHS Promposal Facebook page; the post with the most likes won. The first place prize included $10 off of prom tickets, a pass to skip the photobooth line, and a makeup artist or photographer. The second place prize included $5 off of prom tickets and a pass to skip the photobooth line. The third place prize was a pass to skip the photobooth line.

First place winner junior Haley Eamranond asked her boyfriend, AHS alumni Josh Cordon, to prom with a Cinderella-themed poster to celebrate their love of Disney and the color sky blue. She also serenaded him with a song by Jason Mraz, whom Cordon is a fan of. Haley said, “From the beginning of our relationship, Josh has always voiced his passion and love for music.” As he has performed for her “countless times with his guitar,” so she decided to perform a song for him.

Haley’s friends lined up at one of the school entrances, each with a few blue or black roses in hand, “eventually leading to [her] with the rest of the bouquet.” Although the effort involved a lot of “hectic running around and planning right up until the promposal,” Haley concluded that they were all “relieved and happy” that the promposal went well.

Second place winner junior Selena Hong, a former AHS student, who popped her promposal question to her best friend, junior Kenna Gao. Hong, who has always wanted to be asked to prom in the most “extra, romantic way,” said that she took the phrase “Treat someone the way you want to be treated” to heart, and gave Kenna the “promposal of [her own] dreams.” Hong’s promposal involved a candlelit and rose-petal covered path, with her friends each holding a poster based on the song “Count on Me” by Bruno Mars. Although the asking was platonic, both Hong and Kenna are excited to go to prom with each other.

Third place winner senior Tanny Tani promposed to her boyfriend, Cal Poly Pomona freshman Anthony Liu, with an ice cream-themed poster reading, “I think we’re a great MATCHA, so will UBE my date to prom?” While Tanny originally considered promposing with something relating to the Walmart Yodel Kid, she decided to prompose with an ice cream-based pun, as they met while working together at Westfield Santa Anita’s dessert stall, Somisomi. Tanny elaborated, “After I decided what the poster was [going to] say, I made it [and] added balloons.” Her manager helped with the asking right after Liu got off work.

All of these winning promposals were carefully planned, from the decorations to the posters, and required immense courage. Hopefully, these students will have fun dancing the night away at prom on June 2!

Photo courtesy of ASB