Favorite Superheros

Christy Qiu, Writer

Maybe it’s the suave demeanor of Ironman or the classic superhunk, Superman. Maybe it’s the luscious long hair of Thor or the stoic and cool Batman. Superheroes have garnered the attraction of people all over the world, and AHS students are no exception. Especially with the most recent Avengers movie, Avengers: Infinity War, which set records for the highest-grossing worldwide and domestic openings and for the fastest film in history to reach a worldwide gross of $1 billion, the hype for superheroes is perhaps at its peak. Let’s see what AHS students have to say about their favorite superheroes!

“Spiderman! I don’t know, but I think I can relate to him better because he’s around our age.”

– Akhil Paladugu, 12

“Green Arrow. In the show, Arrow, it confronts a lot of darker, more moral issues regarding the lines between an effective vigilante and an ineffective police force. I like how Green Arrow doesn’t have any supernatural powers, but his power in shooting arrows accurately is something he has trained.”

– Frank Lee, 12

“I can’t choose! If I could choose three, it’d probably be Captain America, Ironman, and Star Lord. Ironman because Robert Downey Jr. is hilarious. Captain America just because he is iconic. Star Lord because Chris Pratt is very good looking, and he’s hilarious. I guess ‘good looking’ applies to everyone.”

– Nicole Bocanegra, 12

“Captain Underpants!!!”

– Samantha Lei, 12

“I don’t really watch any superhero movies, but I’d say Batman just because he’s a real human, unlike the other superheroes, so he is able to accomplish just as much without any superpowers.”

– Aaron Liu, 11

“I love superheroes! Spiderman! He’s my favorite because he’s funny and relatable, and I appreciate the new movies.”

– Alex Abeyta, 11

“Dr. Strange, because he’s mystical and different from regular life.”

– Mariam Golwalla, 11

“Batman because he excels at self-determination, and he’s cool.”

– Warren Oetojo, 10

“My favorite superhero is Rocket from Guardians of the Galaxy because he might not be as well-known, but he’s confident in his abilities and stands up for himself.”

– Scarlet Yang, 10

“Thor, ‘cause he’s a god. He’s the only superhero movie I watched.”

– Joey Felix, 9

“I don’t really have one. Obama. Jesus is my superhero.”

– Tiffany Wong, 9

“Spiderman, he’s the most relatable Marvel superhero. The funniest in my opinion, and overall, a well-rounded character.”

– Susan Vongfak, 9

The superhero fanbase in AHS is strong and filled with passion. Though some have chosen their favorite superhero based on appearance, many others are attracted to their human, relatable qualities. However, a small population has no opinion, even though the superhero movie industry has been booming in recent years. The past couple years and recent months have marked a new life in the Spiderman franchise, the creation of Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Wonder Woman, and sequels for Deadpool, Thor, and Guardians of the Galaxy. So, if you have not yet jumped on the superhero bandwagon, a thrilling world awaits ahead!