Healthy College Meals

Jasmine Oang, Staff Writer

We’re all trying to live a healthy lifestyle, and for our seniors going off to college, finding a fully functional kitchen or eating out everyday may be a luxury. Here are a few simple, but healthy recipes; let’s save Cup Noodles and IndoMie for the rainy days…

1. Taco Bowls/At-Home Chipotle

If you’re always craving Chipotle, making your own bowls won’t be a problem. All you need is the rice of your choice, salad, canned beans, canned corn, and grilled chicken. If you’re a college student on a budget, try meal prepping with $5 whole rotisserie chickens from the market to make variations of this bowl and other meals. You can add more vegetables like sweet potatoes (you can get the microwaveable frozen packs from Costco), broccoli, avocado, and whatever your heart desires. Then, just add a vinaigrette, dressing, or the sauce of your choice.

2. Mason Jar Salads

This is just as simple as the taco bowl, just skip the rice and throw everything into a jar. For the beans and corn, remember to drain out the liquid or add anything with liquids or dressings until you eat to prevent sogginess. For the beans and corn, drain out any liquids, such as water or dressing, before you eat to prevent sogginess. You can add croutons or chickpeas on top for some texture too; when you’re ready to eat, just add dressing and shake it up!

3. Quesadilla Pizza

This one is super easy too. All you need are tortillas, cheese, and tomato sauce. You can add some other toppings on top or maybe use barbecue sauce and add some of that rotisserie chicken you bought for the taco bowls. Just pop it in a toaster oven or microwave, or even place it in a pan and heat it up until the cheese looks melted. Think of it as your own Blaze Pizza, the possibilities are endless.

4. Avocado Tomato Grilled Cheese

Grilled cheese is the type of food where you want to continuously layer on cheese and butter, because that is what makes it so magical. Instead, add some tomatoes and avocados (or the rotisserie chicken) to steer the guilt away. You can also add a salad on the side just in case it isn’t enough.

5. Smoothie Bowls

Smoothie bowls can set you back up to $10 each. They’re so good and so simple. All you need is a blender, some frozen acaí, fruit of your choice, granola, and toppings. Just be careful not to turn everything into soup and add ice as you blend! Honestly, it makes it even more satisfying when you try to be artsy and layer all your toppings in an aesthetic way and then stir it all up.

With these recipes, you won’t have to worry about breaking the bank and drowning in college debt. You also won’t have to worry about getting cancer from Cup Noodles or getting fat from ordering $5 pizza all the time!