Spring Sports: Recap

Jasmine Oang, Writer

Summer is approaching and so is the end of the school year; similarly, sport seasons are ending as CIF begins. Here’s the latest scoop on what our teams have been up to.

1. Boys Volleyball
Boys Varsity Volleyball had a season full of excitement. After ending the league season with a win against Burbank High School at home, the boys finished in 3rd place. This was just enough to get the team into CIF as a wild card to play against Harvard-Westlake School and qualify for the first round. After defeating its opponent, the team made it to the first round of CIF and won against Temple City High School on May 8. Co-Captain sophomore Bryan Liu mentioned that after working endlessly all season to become a “dominant force”, the team is now prepared for the rest of CIF with a strong offensive lineup and tough blockers.

2. Co-Ed Swim
Swim had a productive season this year. Both Varsity and Girls JV ended 2nd in the Pacific league after losing their last meet to Crescenta Valley High School (CVHS) with a season record of 5-1. However, Boys JV managed to surpass the Falcons and win the league with a record of 6-0. Although CVHS has been a difficult rival all season, Boys Varsity Co-Captain junior Matthew Gao noted,“I’m proud to say that nearly everyone on our team improved their own times, including myself.” With that in mind, these hard-working Apaches are bound to continue as a strong force in the next season.

3. Boys Tennis
Boys Varsity Tennis had another impressive season this year after becoming Pacific League Champions and remaining undefeated at home for four seasons in a row. Currently, the boys are seeded fifth for CIF with contenders in both the team and individual categories. Sophomore Matthew Feng reflected, “We’ve had a good season thus far, and hope to improve and achieve our goal of winning CIF’s in the next two weeks.” Next year, the team will be losing three of their starting seniors but nonetheless, we are all expecting a successful season.

4. Boys Baseball
Boys Baseball has definitely had a memorable season; currently, the boys are 23-0 and have two games left in league. After defeating San Dimas High School, another school who had an undefeated record, the team proved its skill and is now ranked 7th in the state and 1st in the Los Angeles area. 12-0 in league, the team played Crescenta Valley, who was also 12-0, twice in an attempt to claim the League Championship. After an intense game, the Apaches lost both games and finished the season 12-2 and 2nd in league. However, the team is still looking strong for CIF.

5. Co-Ed Badminton
Badminton finished another successful season after both Varsity and JV claimed the title of league champions for the second year in a row and finished the season undefeated in league. For sophomore Aliza Wong, she’s already preparing for next year and reflected the hard-working attitude of the team, “Next year, I look forward to seeing my teammates work as hard as they did this season and ultimately improve as a team to achieve greater results. I also look forward to refining my skill as an individual and to reach my full potential.”

So far, it looks like AHS has had another year of successful athletics and every team is continuously working hard to improve. Great job Apaches, and to everyone competing in CIF, good luck!

Photo by ARCADIA UNIFIED