AHS’ National Merit Scholarship Finalists

Josie Chen, Staff Writer

The Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test (PSAT) is an annual test that students from various grade levels have the opportunity to take every October. Compared to the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT), the PSAT is very similar, except its questions are slightly easier, and there is no essay portion. In addition, although SAT scores can be submitted for college applications, PSAT scores cannot. However, PSAT scores can be submitted to the National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC), an independent, non-profit organization that works with the College Board to administer the PSAT each year. NMSC also holds an annual competition for high school students to give them the chance of being recognized and to earn scholarships.

How does this work? “People who score exceptionally well on the PSAT will be named National Merit Semifinalists,” says senior Louis Zhao, a 2018 National Merit Semifinalist. “Those people are usually the country’s top 1% of test takers.” It all starts with the PSAT in October, with around 1.6 million students, usually juniors, eligible to participate in the running to become a National Merit Scholar. Out of the enormous number of contestants, the top 50,000 with the highest Selection Index scores, which is the doubled sum of their Math, Writing and Language, and English scores will qualify for the next step: National Merit Program Recognition. “The cutoff for eligibility changes every year, based on [the] distribution of the scores. The cutoff last year was an index score of 222 or around 1490. Every year the cutoff increases marginally, so you can say that it gets harder every year,” states Louis. After the top 50,000 students have been selected, only 16,000 will be named Semifinalists for receiving the highest scores in their state, while the other 34,000 will receive Letters of Commendation, but are no longer able to compete for National Merit Scholarships. Finally, 15,000 of the 16,000 Semifinalists will advance to the final step, in which winners will be chosen based on their abilities and accomplishments. Last but not least, 1,200 contestants will receive Special Scholarships given by corporate sponsors, while the other 7,500 will be titled Merit Scholarship winners. These Finalists will receive scholarships from one or more from the following: National Merit $2,500 scholarships, corporate-sponsored scholarships, and college-sponsored scholarships.

Recently, 20 of AHS’ students were named National Merit Semifinalists. These include seniors Ethan Chen, Justin Chen, Liang-Wei Chen, Sean Chen, Conner Ching, Andrea Fang, Nicholas Figueira, Xinyang Gu, Daniel Ho, Frank Lee, Derek Li, James Shin, Arianna Togelang, Regina Wang, Elyse Yao, Benjamin Yeh, Xiaoke Ying, Warren Yuan, Edward Zeng, and Louis Zhao. In fact, over the last five years, AHS has had more than 100 students earn the title of National Merit Scholarship Semifinalists, and specifically, more than 90% of its seniors becoming Finalists. Senior Louis Zhao says, “Personally, I am really proud of myself for earning the status of National Merit Finalist. The PSAT is quite a challenging test and the fact that the cutoff for California students is so high makes becoming a finalist all that much harder.”

As for future test takers, Louis advises, “In my opinion if you’re already studying for the regular SAT then you don’t have to worry about studying for the PSAT. The tests are very similar. However, if you haven’t started yet, make sure to start reviewing the material soon, either through prep courses, or just using a prep book.” He also points out to not worry too much if you do not make it as a National Merit Semifinalist, as it will not be the breaking point in your college application. Congratulations to all of Arcadia’s National Merit Semifinalists, and good luck with the rest of the competition!