Earth Day Celebrations

Ganga Prasanth, Staff Writer

Earth Day is making its way back to us on Apr. 22, and with it come many events around the globe to make our world a better, brighter, more eco-friendly planet.

But first of all, what is Earth Day? Earth Day is a day where people are advised to focus on the actions we do that harm our environment to make sure that we prevent them from continuing and clean up any of the messes we’ve already made. For instance, plastic pollution is a big issue in some major countries such as India, and so what many people in those countries would do on Earth Day is have people volunteer to clean up these streets so as to prevent it from being a hazard to plants and animals, as well as ourselves. Earth Day also gives people a chance to educate others more on topics such as science and environmental studies.

So, how are people going to be celebrating Earth Day this year? To start it off, we’re probably going to have many rallies and protests against the pollution that’s harming our society. But what about internationally?

In China, they’ve started the “Billion Acts of Green” or BAG campaign at the beginning of March, to raise awareness for the earth and to celebrate Earth Day. On this day, colleges and schools will combine to teach students the importance of protecting the environment, and will also hold a charity for used goods so as to make sure they don’t end up being thrown out.

In Africa, a competition will take place on Earth Day, called the “Go Greener Maya” competition. On this day, college students in Africa will come up with ways to reduce the pollution on earth and to prevent environmental damage. In Ghana, there will be tree-planting festivals in a number of schools to raise awareness. Lastly, in Oman, they promote green well-being by selling fresh produce to willing customers.

All around the globe is The Earth Day End Plastic Pollution campaign, which is the main factor that people all are fighting for. Internationally, people are connecting to fight against what man has done to the environment, and so far, it has succeeded. This campaign is international, reaching from as close to Los Angeles to as far as Australia.

Do you want to contribute to Earth Day? Research and sign up for events on Earth Day near you to help contribute to the cause—and don’t hesitate to bring some friends with you! Don’t have time for this? Then celebrate Earth Day in your own quieter ways: take shorter showers during the day, and make sure you turn off any lights during daytime. You could also try planting something outdoors, or adopt an indoor plant to breathe some air into your room. Do whatever makes you feel like you’re contributing to the world, as long as you enjoy it while doing it!

Don’t hesitate to step out and make a change in the world. We have to remember, this isn’t just our world, but also the ones of the many future generations that are soon to come. Leave a happy memory here, and don’t let them live on a ruined planet. Do your part for the earth, and one day, the Earth may do the same for you.