Spring Preview

Spring+Preview

Jeremy Du, Staff Writer

Maybe you remember going to Spring Preview as an eighth grader; excited, nervous, and possibly overwhelmed by the plethora of clubs, academic teams, athletic teams, student groups, and organizations. Maybe you remember representing an AHS group in it. Either way, Spring Preview is an important time of the year for AHS clubs, student groups, and organizations to advertise themselves to incoming Apaches.

This year, AHS’ Spring Preview is set to occur after school on Apr. 12 from around 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. It begins at 4:30 p.m. instead of right after school to allow sufficient time for middle school students and parents to arrive at AHS. Be sure to check out and support your fellow Apaches at this large annual event! Spring Preview is, as its name reveals, a preview of AHS during the spring. At this large event, nearly 1,000 prospective Apaches, their parents, and others will take a look at what groups and activities AHS has to offer for its students. This event is especially important for seventh or eighth graders and is specifically targeted towards attracting them to AHS because Spring Preview can be the deciding factor of whether or not they will attend AHS the following school year. It also allows AHS students to display their groups and hopefully recruit and or record contact information from interested middle school students.

Clubs Day differs from Spring Preview in that it occurs in the fall, typically September, and is targeted towards recruiting current AHS students to join groups and activities. Both, however, are similar because they include a sea of booths across the Science Building Courtyard, lunch tables area, and Rally Court encouraging students to join their group. Some groups attending Spring Preview this year include AHS clubs such as Kare4Kids and Vietnamese Culture Club, academic teams such as Quiz Bowl and Science Olympiad, athletic teams such as the AHS Water Polo Team and Basketball Team, and even groups like the AUSD Digital Communications Internship.

Each group is free to decide what they want to display at their booths; however, they must follow ASB regulations, which include rules such as no inappropriate displays, and if a group decides to serve food, it must be store bought and individually wrapped. Many in the past have displayed themselves on a trifold display or poster, which typically includes photos of the work they do, meetings they have, or descriptions of their various activities. Some groups, most often the AHS culture clubs, choose to serve food since cuisine is such an important part of many cultures. For example, in the past, the Taiwanese Appreciation Club served boba milk tea for its guests. Other groups choose to give out food, other treats, or trinkets as prizes for signing up to be sent information about their group, playing the game they have set up, or participating in the activity their group has to offer at their booth. For example, in the past, Leo Club gave out candy for people who participated in their “Feed the Lion” game, where people tested their throwing and aiming skills by throwing a beanbag into a painted lion’s mouth.