The Visual Voices

Ashley Lee, Staff Writer

AHS is proud to be a home of innovation and talent—it boasts a multifaceted student body, capable in a diverse spectrum of fields. Self-directed individuals are motivated to pursuing their personal passions through various platforms that allow them to express their creativity and thoughts.

Recently, some of our very own Apaches collaborated to create a project to further expand their interests outside of everyday academia. Founded by juniors Ella Cho and Albert Yeung in 2017, The Visual Voices is an art magazine based in Los Angeles with a focus on photography and design. As part of their mission, this unique artistic platform is “dedicated and impassioned to assisting photographers, designers, and artists in finding their visual voice.” As motivated artists themselves, Ella and Albert initially founded this magazine with hopes to pursue their own artistic endeavors on a slightly different path and create something unique to the interweb community. They wanted to create something that would have a “profound impact on the photography community,” stated co-founder Ella.

The virtual magazine strives to bring daily inspiration to the artistic community all around the world through their content that features aspiring artists and designers. The website highlights three main aspects: photography, design, and interview. Photographs from artists are shown on the photography page, displaying some of their greatest works. The design page showcases impressive designs, all varying in their style and mediums. As part of the magazine, the team interviews artists, reaching out to them and hearing their visual voice. The interview page highlights these conversations and allows readers to understand the artists and their works more intimately. Some of the questions ask about their projects and the ideals they hope to achieve from their works. The magazine ultimately hopes to broadcast and speak as a voice for emerging artists all around the world.

When selecting artwork and artists to feature, most of the individuals are recruited via Instagram. Thanks to the 21st-century photography network on social media, Albert stated that it is “easier to find aspiring artists whose work matches what they are looking for.” He explained that The Visual Voices aims to reach out to artists that have a “distinct style or are working on a notable project.” Often times, there have also been artists who reach out to the team, which is a great way for them to discover the diversity of the photography community.

The Visual Voices Instagram account currently boasts over 3,000 followers and can be found via @thevisualvoices. They also have a Facebook page titled, Visual Voices. Check out their magazine at thevisualvoices-magazine.com to see what they’re all about. Congratulations to The Visual Voices on its successful startup and best of luck on your future journey!