Orchestra 1 Music Festivals

Orchestra 1 Music Festivals

Ashley Lee, Staff Writer

The Orchestra program consists of a myriad of fun-filled events each year. From summer music camps to holiday concerts and to the recently held annual Orchestra Benefit Dinner, Orchestra members have had a busy schedule planned for the rest of the school year. With this in mind, one of the unique traditions of the curriculum are the music festivals that the orchestra participates in every year.

These music festivals are not your average live singing and instrument performances, such as Coachella. They are adjudicated performances evaluated by professional musical judges. Each orchestra is required to play a total of three pieces ranging in style. While they play, judges critique and write positive notes on a scoring guide, eventually totalling a final score. There is also a judge who speaks into a recording device, giving verbal critique while the orchestra plays. The score is then entered into a ranking, and the group is rewarded with a plaque at the mini awards ceremony. These music festivals are not competitions with other orchestra groups. Rather, they are opportunities for orchestras to be evaluated and “graded” for their performance. When the students return, they are able to review their scoring guides and listen to the verbal critiques as well, ultimately allowing them to learn from their experience and strengthen their playing. As part of the festival, orchestras also have the opportunity to participate as spectators and watch other groups perform.

Recently, Orchestra 1 participated in its first music festival of the year on Mar. 23 at the Forum Music Festival, which took place at Knott’s Berry Farm. The musicians were able to bring back the Gold ranking for their excellent performance! Freshman Yoshifumi Miki also received the Outstanding Musicianship award as well. As part of the music festival package, the students enjoyed a fun-filled day at the amusement park afterwards.

On Mar. 28, Orchestra also participated in its second and final festival of the year in the city of El Dorado. This festival was hosted by the Southern California School Band and Orchestra Association. The group was able to bring back the highest honor, Unanimous Superior!

Congratulations to Orchestra 1 on its successful season and performances! If you are interested in listening to AHS’ fine orchestra groups, there will be a Pops Concert on May 22 and 23 at the local Los Angeles County Arboretum. Your support will be gladly appreciated at this one of a kind concert!

Photo courtesy of ARCADIAMUSIC.PHOTOGRAPHY