Spring Concert

Spring+Concert

Kali Tam, Staff Writer

As the winter days quickly transitioned into warmer spring days, AHS’ very own performing arts groups have also been caught up in the transition as well, and have been doing their best to make the most out of the last few months of the year. Two of these performing arts groups in particular, Band and Orchestra, have been working very hard this semester and showed off what they had accomplished at one of their last performances of the year, the annual Spring Concert.

This year, the Spring Concert was held on Mar. 29 at Arcadia’s famous Performing Arts Center (PAC) and the event showcased two ensembles of Band and Orchestra Band and Orchestra 1, which is the beginning ensemble for freshmen, and Band and Orchestra 2, which is the intermediate ensemble. The program for the night began by featuring the two stunning string orchestra groups, who were directed by Mr. Tom Forbes and Ms. Pin Chen. Orchestra 1 performed several pieces, including Joshua Reznicow’s “American Sketches” and Antonin Dvorak’s “Symphony No 8 Finale”; while Orchestra 2 played along to Gustav Holst’s “Brook Green Suite” and Alan Lee Si’s “The Evil Eye and the Hideous Heart”. To finish off the night, the two band ensembles, who were directed by Mr. Kevin Sherrill and Mr. Seth Murphy, took over the spotlight with several lively performances. Band 1 performed the pieces “Fortress” by Frank Ticheli, “Fire of Eternal Glory” by Dmitri Shostakovic, and “Invicta” by James Swearingen; and Band 2 performed to Aaron Copland’s “Promise of Living” and Alfred Reed’s “Festival Prelude”.

The Spring Concert allowed all of these musicians to bring their family and friends together to witness all the hard work and dedication that they have put into the performing arts program throughout the semester. Band 2 sophomore Emily Rivera stated that “the Spring Concert was a lot more sophisticated compared to all of the previous performances that occurred during marching season, so it was very exciting to perform the pieces that we’ve spent dozens of hours and morning rehearsals on in a more professional environment.”  

If you missed out on the Spring Concert this month but are still interested in checking out the spectacular performances that these musicians have put on, don’t worry, because both Band and Orchestra will be hosting their annual Pops Concert at the Los Angeles County Arboretum in May. Make sure you don’t forget to support all of our talented musicians at their upcoming and final concert of the year!

Photo courtesy of ARCADIAMUSIC.PHOTOGRAPHY