Orchestra Vertical Concert

Ashley Lee, Staff Writer

As an orchestra member, there are only a few rare opportunities to showcase the hard work and time put into the program. Since performing relies on the collaboration of a group effort to produce pieces, family members and friends can only watch and listen to live orchestras at concerts. Fortunately, the award-winning AUSD orchestras will be having an upcoming concert this month.

On March 22, the Orchestra department will be hosting their annual spring Vertical Concert at Arcadia’s prized Performing Arts Center (PAC). This concert will not only feature our Symphony Orchestra, but it will also showcase the three middle school symphony orchestras from Dana Middle School, First Avenue Middle School, and Foothills Middle School. This will be an excellent opportunity for friends, families, and staff members as well to be amazed by the pieces the students have been working on this semester.

The program will begin with the middle school orchestras followed by the Symphony Orchestra. Each group will play a variety of pieces ranging from classical pieces to modern day music. It is always an exciting night as many high school students are able to reconnect with their middle school music directors and listen to their current orchestra. Middle school students are also able to have a look into the AHS orchestra program and tend their interests for their future musical years.

The Symphony Orchestra from AHS consists of Orchestra 3 and Band 3 members. They have been rehearsing for the past month to synchronize the parts together. The repertoire they will be performing at the Vertical Concert includes composer Aram Khachaturian’s “Adagio” from “Spartacus”, Johann Strauss II’s Tritsch-Tratsch Polka, and last but not least, the famous Symphony 104 Movement IV by Joseph Haydn. Assistant section leader junior Rachel Yin describes that she is “excited to be able to perform these pieces, because they are very different in style.” With every orchestra comes its strengths, and Rachel also believes that the pieces “allow [students] to show [their] different strengths and features [them as] a group.”

Violinist sophomore Oscar Peng also looks forward to the upcoming concert, as it will be a way for the orchestra members to “show off what [they] have worked hard on together as a group.” Although only performing three songs, each piece requires much rehearsal time to perfect each.

If interested, be sure to attend purchase your tickets and attend the show. Support the orchestras next week, March 22, at 7 p.m. in the PAC. You’ll be in for a treat that you do not want to miss!

Photo courtesy of ARCADIA MUSIC